Sunday, July 29, 2007

The Great Cleavage Debate '07

First of all, let me say right now that I'm not a Hillary Clinton supporter, and I will not vote for her.

However, I have to say that as a woman, I am appalled at this recent news "story" about her showing cleavage at the latest debate. The main focus seems to be on an editorial in The Washington Post, in which the author writes extensively about Clinton's cleavage. (You can read the column here.) The author writes:

"To display cleavage in a setting that does not involve cocktails and hors d'oeuvres is a provocation. It requires that a woman be utterly at ease in her skin, coolly confident about her appearance, unflinching about her sense of style. Any hint of ambivalence makes everyone uncomfortable. And in matters of style, Clinton is as noncommittal as ever."

What the hell does THAT mean? Oh, and the author, Robin Givhan, is a woman. What is this broad trying to say? Does she support Clinton's attire as empowerment as a woman, or is she saying that Clinton is deliberately trying to be provocative? Whatever she is attempting to say, it is out of place and unwarranted, and it pisses me off that this is an issue, even a trumped-up issue. Like I said, I don't support Clinton, but I really am irritated that anyone would write about such nonsense, and frankly, I think it's disrespectful to one of our elected officials to be talking about her rack. What's next? A story about Obama, talking about the package on the guy? How would that go over? I don't care for this Givhan broad. She's out of the girls' club.

I'm also not impressed with John Edwards, who when asked to say something he didn't like about Hillary, said he didn't like her jacket too much. I suppose he was trying to be funny, but that tells me that he's a dipwad for not coming up with something more substantial. Also that he's not very funny. You're running for Pres, dude, and all you have to say is you don't like her jacket? It's that kind of thing that tells me that no matter how far we've come, there is still a feeling in this country that it's okay to harp about stupid, superficial things about women rather than pay attention to what they have to say, or recognize that yeah, we do have a LITTLE bit of intelligence.

I'm probably coming across as a flaming feminist right now, and that is totally NOT me. And I certainly never thought I'd be in a frame of mind where I would be even a little supportive of Hillary. But you know what? It is wrong that anyone, male or female, is writing about her cleavage. She's not an entertainer, she's a legislator, and as such, she deserves some respect.

<climbing down off my soapbox>

UPDATE

We watched most of the replay of the debate on CNN tonight. I would like to say right now that Joe Biden has a snowball's chance in hell of winning the presidency. When asked to say something nice about a candidate, did we really hear him tell Dennis Kucinich, "I like your wife"?? Did he really say that? I believe he did.

What's up with some of these people that they are still in this race? Dodd,  and what's his face, and Kucinich and Biden...where are their handlers? Why are we spending so much money on people who cannot win a nomination? This isn't an attack against the Democrats, the same goes for the Republicans. After seeing that debacle of a debate, I'm all for campaign reform, and spending limits. Let's see every candidate get...oh, let's say $10 million, and see what they can do with it. Ken and I could do a lot with $10 million, because we know how to budget. And each major network would have to give equal time, no charge, to each candidate--within reason, of course. Say an hour per week. Yep, that'll work. And a flyer to each home--one page only per candidate--that succinctly discusses their policies and philosophy. That might make them cut the bullshit and get to the point.

I haven't always been pleased with one of our senators, Evan Bayh. (Our other senator is Richard Lugar, and he rocks. One of the best in DC.) Bayh was considering a run for the presidency, and he dropped out several months ago, because he had good handlers--they told him that he didn't have the national recognition or the money to be a viable candidate. Why are some of these people still trying to make a go of it, when everyone can tell they don't have a chance? Some of these people are gazillionaires--why can't they spend money on worthwhile things instead of throwing it all away on campaigns?

Hmm. Can you tell I'm just a tad disgusted with the political process? Think of the millions spent on each candidate and their campaigns. Can you imagine the good all that money could do?

I also have to disagree with the columnist (sorry, I forget her name) who wrote that the YouTube questions were lame and juvenile. I thought many of them were thoughtful and worthy of discussion, and I thought it showed that much of the American public is engaged and involved and interested. Or am I deluding myself? Say it isn't so!

I also found it interesting to hear a question submitted to all the candidates: You have two choices--which would you choose? Raise taxes or cut benefits. Simple question, right? A or B. Not one of them gave a straight answer. I told Ken, "How refreshing would it be to hear SOMEONE speak up and say 'I guess I'd have to raise taxes.' " An answer! An honest answer!

AAUUGGHHH!! It's over a year away, and I'm already wigged out. Maybe I'm wishing for the kind of person that doesn't exist, like Mr. Smith and George Bailey and Atticus Finch. I believe that there are people like that out there, but our political process has become so twisted that those people either don't want to run, or don't have the means to run. I think we all know one or two people who would make some great decisions and not be beholden to any group...but these are our family members and neighbors, and most of us don't have the big bucks to pour into campaign funds. Why does it have to be that way?

Sorry if I sound discouraged, but I guess I am a little bit. I still have great faith and optimism when it comes to our country and our economy, don't get me wrong. But our political process is seriously screwed.

The good news is that I've managed to exhaust myself. I'm going to sleep like a baby rock (as Ken and I like to say) tonight.

 


Tags: , ,

No comments: