Sunday, March 11, 2007

The Big Picture

I haven't written for a bit, longer than I like. Sorry about that, but in the last few days, work has managed to drain every bit of lifeforce and energy from my poor little body. It has destroyed my will to live. Okay, I exaggerate. But it HAS made me extremely tired, and not a happy camper. I'll spare you any details, but it hasn't been a pleasant few days, except for when I've been home in our little sanctuary. One question. How many people have to quit before a hiring freeze is lifted? I can tell you it's not one...or three. Is the magic number five? Seven? This little turnip is just about out of blood. Please don't squeeze me anymore.

As for The Big Picture...I've been writing to an email friend (Yo, RaQ!), and after some discussion on various topics, I told her my feelings about the BP. I'm not sure if I'm delusional or just in denial, but I still believe that everything will work out okay. My folks get upset about things, too, and there are certainly things that get under my skin. But I just think it'll all work out in the wash. We have a saying in Indiana. "If you don't like the weather, just wait a few hours." That's so true, and not just for Indiana weather. While we may not like whatever is happening, things will change. There is always an eventual shift in power, and we need to realize that while we may be impatient for things to change immediately, it may move a little slower than that. But if you consider the span of our lifetimes, it's not even a blip on the cosmic radar screen. In the Big Picture, we don't even rate an honorable mention, let alone an Oscar.

I know...when we were young, and all that. Yeah, I wanted to change the world, too. But average Joes and Janes like us don't really change the world, and don't have a snowball's chance of doing so. But you know what? We all have the opportunity to make a difference, even if it's something little. A friend of mine recently told me that he was working on changing his eating habits, and working on losing weight, and told me that my quitting smoking was "inspirational" to him. He said it made him realize that you can make up your mind to change things in your life. Knowing that something I did in my own life made a difference in that of someone I truly care about means a hell of a lot to me.

By the way, both Ken and I are now close to eight months without smoking. We ROCK!

I mentioned that we're off soon to see the Tut exhibit. Still excited, still looking forward to it! I found this picture that pleased me very much. The King Lives....

 

No comments: