Thursday, May 3, 2007

I'm still stunned

My friend Greg at work told me about this. After his description, I had to see it for myself, and it's every bit as mind-boggling as he said. You can see it here. [Warning: This is not for the squeamish.]

For those of you that chose not to watch, it is some kind of "Divas In Vegas" show, specifically a clip of Celine Dion and some chick named Anastacia (??) doing their version of "You Shook Me All Night Long." That's right, the classic AC/DC song, and it IS a true rock and roll classic. For some inexplicable reason, these broads felt the need to sing it. It is astounding in its badness, from Celine playing air guitar and doing the Chuck Berry/Angus Young duckwalk in stilettoes to both of them high-fiving each other and screaming, "C'mon, girlfriend!" My oh my. It is honestly one of the most awful things I've ever seen.

Because it was so awful, and because Cousin Shane is my partner in crime when it comes to music, I had to share it with him. I think what he wrote back sums it up very well:

well, i don't know what to say about that.  i was chuckling to myself as i saw her playing air guitar.  i have to admit that she did that song a lot better than i ever thought she would (not that i ever imagined her singing it), but that doesn't mean it's a good version.  her voice is totally not suited for a balls-to-the-wall rocker like that.  i'm sitting here in the "afterglow" of watching it, not sure whether to laugh, cry, or be pissed off.  truly one of the most bizarre artist/song matchups i've EVER seen.
 
Well said, my friend, well said.

No comments: