Thursday, February 8, 2007

Seriously...withdrawal

I can't believe the football season is over. What will I do Sunday afternoons?! I don't think I've ever missed it quite this much, probably because it was so much fun watching my team all season and seeing them win the whole thing. I know, I know...I need to let it go and move on with my life. I will, but I'll look forward to this fall!

I got my Super Bowl champions gear today, and managed to limit myself to three items (all on sale, too!): a T-shirt (like the one they wore in the locker room after the game), a long sleeve T-shirt, and a sweatshirt. I'll probably pick up more stuff later on, but that's good for now.

On to other things (sigh). I came across this the other day, the Silly Tasting Note Generator. For anyone who has ever gone to a winery and done a tasting, it's especially funny. Last year, we visited our friends Steve and Kim in central California. While Napa is world-renowned for its wines, and a fun place to go, the central valley is just starting to get into the wine business. We visited some nice wineries, tasted some good wine, had lunch at a neat little place, and we all got a kick out of the way different wines are described. Our favorite was the wine that was described as having a "hint of leather." Huh? Well, we found out when we tasted it. We agreed that the hint of leather must have come from nasty old sweat-stained shoes, because the wine tasted so nasty none of us finished our taste. We didn't go so far as to spit in the waste jug, but we definitely didn't finish! I think the tasting note generator is fun, and you can toggle between silly and extra-silly.

So is it spring yet? Punxsutawney Phil says we'll have an early spring this year, and I sure hope so, because I'm ready to be done with winter. The snow is very pretty in our back yard and in our woods, but Ken and I agree that we don't like it so much on the roads. Besides, I feel bad for the deer and want them to have more to eat. We had a group of 11-12 in our back yard the other night, and the pond they drink from is frozen now. I know I shouldn't feel too bad, because they all looked quite fat and sassy, but I wonder what they do when the temperatures get so cold? Do they all huddle together? It's probably not as cold out in the woods, where they're a little more sheltered from the wind. I honestly don't know what I'm worrying about, because there certainly isn't a problem with the deer population around here. Here's a picture of the deer from last winter--aren't they cute?

No comments: