Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Ode V (Hint: It's an anagram)

Cousin Shane was over for a visit a couple of weeks ago, and we got to talking about music. He had sent me a YouTube video of Devo's "Smart Patrol/Mr. DNA," and I think he sent me one of "Mongoloid," too. Anyhoo, that was all it took to send me on a Devo binge. I loved 'em back in the '80's, of course, but it had been a little while since I listened to them. Man, I'd forgotten how great they are! And what true originals, too, and so twisted and funny. I took a couple of CD's into work, and someone made the comment, "I'm hearing a bunch of Devo...." They have a very unmistakable sound. My personal favorite is probably "Gut Feeling/Slap Your Mammy," but I have plenty that I just love. What does it say about me that I know many of the lyrics? Hmm.

Listening to Devo gave me a bit of a flashback. I loved "Miami Vice," and one of my favorite scenes, and one that always stuck in my mind, was Crockett and Tubbs roaring down the streets of Miami in their Lamborghini while Devo's "Going Under" (another favorite Devo song) was playing. When I got my '95 Mustang, I remember driving in Indianapolis at night while that song was playing, and the streetlights were reflecting off the car. It was so neat! Call it "Indy Vice." Ha! And just to show you that you really can find just about anything on YouTube, check it out! Misspelling and all.

No comments: