Saturday, October 6, 2007

Nine dollars well spent

After work today, I wanted to get a few things at the store, so I went to Walmart (which is on the way home). Note to myself: avoid Walmart on Saturday! Yikes!

Anyhoo, on my way into the store, there was a little kid standing there by a table--he was maybe 8 years old, and he was selling popcorn for his Boy Scout troop. He asked me if I'd like to buy some popcorn, and I was in a hurry and knew I didn't have enough cash on me, so I said, "I'm sorry, honey, I can't today." For the first time in my life, I think I actually saw someone look "crestfallen." As soon as I got in the store, I felt so sad and so bad about it, I knew I couldn't let it stand that way. After I got my stuff, I went out the same door, and luckily he was still there. I asked, "Will you take a check?" He said, "Sure!" then turned to his Mom and asked, "Can we take a check?" Awww! He showed me all the stuff they were selling, and even said, "If that's too expensive, we have this for a dollar." (It was an individual bag of microwave popcorn.) I said, "How about the caramel corn?" It was nine dollars. He said, "Okay!" and while I wrote out the check, he said, "I'll just put this in your cart, okay?" Bless his little heart. When I gave his Mom the check, she said to me, "Thank you so much...he was getting kind of discouraged." I said, "Yeah, I could see that on my way in, that's why I wanted to stop."

Sometimes it's the little things that can make a difference. Seeing his little face in my mind, I'm just so glad I stopped. I hope I brightened his day a little bit. I know there are a lot of school fundraisers going on right now, and we get bombarded at work with them, although my coworkers are very low-key about it. If it's something I will use, I usually try to get a little something (I just bought a cookbook from my friend Pat's daughter's class), but I know we have to draw the line at some point. However, if a little guy (or gal) is standing out in the hot sun, and he makes the effort to ask for your donation, take the time and help him out.

As for my Boy Scout, I think it might have brightened MY day even more than his.

No comments: