Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Timeliness

Just a couple of days ago, I wrote briefly about the sixties after watching a very far out episode of "Star Trek." While reading Time this morning, I came across this quote from John McCain:

"In case you missed it, a few days ago Senator Clinton tried to spend $1 million on the Woodstock concert museum. Now, my friends, I wasn't there. I'm sure it was a cultural and pharmaceutical event. I was tied up at the time."

Oh, Senator, you're showing signs of life again. What a brilliant comment! Regardless of how you feel about his politics, you have to allow that the guy has some major street cred. I like him. I read one of his books a while back and wrote to his office to thank him for his service to the country, both in the military and in the Senate. He was kind enough to write back. Of course, now I often get requests for money from his campaign, but that's not surprising. I just loved that quote.

I also love music, as my family and regular readers know, but you know what? I gotta draw the line at a federally funded Woodstock museum. C'mon, seriously. If someone wants to privately fund it, have at it. I suspect many of the revolutionaries of the time have crossed over and joined the Establishment, and some of 'em might even be The Man. I bet there's plenty of cash to be found there. Besides, isn't any Hard Rock Cafe you walk into essentially a Woodstock museum?

Dr. Will made me laugh today. He wrote about Sue Ann Nivens, the Happy Homemaker from "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." He wrote that her outwardly sweet demeanor hid a deep-seated rage:

What about you? Do you mask your volcanic rage behind the thin veneer of a false happy face? Trust me, others can feel your percolating fury. Think about getting help. Have a great day!

"Volcanic rage" and "percolating fury," followed by "Have a great day!" The guy just tickles me to no end. What's great about him, though, is that I always feel like I learn something. Yes, he writes in a way that makes me laugh, but he really is a psychologist, and it's obvious that he knows what he's talking about. I'm sure we've all known that person like Sue Ann, a sweet and sugary coating on the outside, but filled with a psychopathic center. The saying goes, "Don't believe everything you see." Man, that's the truth. Right on, Dr. Will!

No comments: