Friday, November 30, 2007

December's knocking

It's almost December, and we've got a winter storm watch for the weekend. Doesn't sound like a horrible deal (unfortunately, I have to work this weekend), just messy, with rain, snow, freezing rain, then rain again. Yuck!

Well, if you didn't know it, November was NaBloPoMo, or National Blog Posting Month. The challenge was to post at least one entry every day, and with this entry, I have succeeded! Not only that, there were some days when I had more than one entry! Yes! It's alive! It's aliiiiiive! Bwah hah hah hah! Whoops, I slipped back into science fiction land there...or else "Better Off Dead," which is one of my favorite movies. "I want my two dollars!"

This morning, I was doing Vitek setup with Jillian and Nan (our manager). I mentioned that we watched the Republican debate the other night, and we ended up having a very good discussion. Jillian is a Democrat, Nan and I are Republicans, but we all are reasonable in our comments, and not rabid on either side of the fence. There's also a certain level of respect involved in not ridiculing anyone's ideas, at least as long as they also keep the exchange civil. If someone starts spouting rhetoric at me, I really don't want to listen any more, let alone try to discuss anything with them. At that point, it's nothing but a pissing contest, and not worth my time. But that wasn't the case this morning, and we had a good little talk! That's the thing that bothers me about extremists. What is wrong with having a nice discussion and exchange of ideas? Chances are, there are a lot of things we agree on if we take the time to find out. But if we're going to have an exchange, that means not shouting over me when I'm trying to make a comment, and I will do the same for you.

That reminds me of something that happened a few weeks ago. I was sitting at one bench, and three of my coworkers were sitting at the benches in front of me--four of us, all in a row. I can't even recall what we were talking about, but there was one point where I looked up, and every single one of them was looking at me and talking. I said, "Hold up! You're all talking at the same time--I can't stand it!" We all had a good laugh over that!

I'm wishing my stepdaughter a very happy birthday today, and sending her positive thoughts.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I while back, I mentioned (more in jest than reality, although sincerely feasible) in my journal about forming a new party called the Republocrats. The extremists drive me crazy ! Later, someone mentioned a movement called centrists (sp?), the gist being intelligent, logical, middle of the roaders, that pay taxes and do not see eye to eye with most of the party extremists. Until we have a three party system, where 2/3 majority rules, we'll be in a log jam.

Today's politicians say what they think you want to hear and/or mudsling. I enjoy a debate where the questions are not leaked and the candidates writers can't spoon feed the jerks the answers, while they read same from a teleprompter (I can't believe I just went on a rant, as that was not my intention, but I feel so much better).

I enjoy your journal !
Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading, Jimmy! And I agree...the most telling debates are the ones where the participants have to come up with a genuine answer all on their own. What a concept! I think that kind of format gives us a chance to see how they think on their feet, or handle a tough situation. We see so little of that these days.

Beth