Wednesday, November 7, 2007

This one is for you, Greg

Dr. Evil: Do you like your quasi-futuristic clothes Mr. Powers? I designed them myself.

 

Later

I got a phone call from my sister Sue and we had a great talk! We had some good laughs about several things. One was about the mysterious ways of fate. Her son, my nephew Steve, is a Marine, and he was scheduled to ship out this past week. He was going to be on the ship for a while, probably ending up in Iraq at some point. Needless to say, we were all pretty upset about it. Well, when he got back to Camp Pendleton, his sergeant noticed that Steve had lost some weight, and thought he didn't look all that great. He ordered him to the hospital. Turns out Steve had a fever of almost 105°, they did a few tests, and he had an abscess. He's still in the hospital, still on antibiotics, but of course he missed the boat (so to speak). We don't know yet how this will affect his deployment, but we're all hoping and praying that he won't have to go. Susie and I laughed about how under normal circumstances, we'd say, "An abscess? What?!" But in this case, we say, "An abscess! Yay!"

We also talked about Thanksgiving, which Sue will have at her house. She'll do the turkey and potatoes, Di (my other sis) will do noodles and...I forget what else. Mom will do sweet potatoes and...I forget what else. I will do macaroni and cheese and a fruit bowl. (I didn't forget that, because I wrote it down.) Mom makes the best macaroni and cheese ever, so I'll have to get her recipe. It's not the creamy kind, it's a little drier, with big bits of cheese in there, and nicely browned on top. I hope I can do her recipe justice. I actually have a four-day weekend at Thanksgiving, because it's not my holiday to work this year. Yippee! We've talked about heading up to Four Winds one of those nights, but haven't firmed up those plans yet.

Hey, I got my flu shot today. I hope everyone gets theirs! Some of us at the lab were laughing about it, because it actually hurt this time--I've never had a problem with needles or shots or blood draws (I guess because I used to draw blood myself...in the workplace, of course...most of the time), but for some reason, it really stung today, and my arm hurt all day. Jillian and I were pseudo-whining all day about it, but no one agreed with our thoughts that we should get to go home. Heartless broads.

Another hey! We've done some rearranging of our bench assignments and duties at work, so I actually got to learn something new in the past couple of days! Well, it's stuff I've done before, but I haven't done it HERE before. It's working up cultures for Clostridium difficile, which causes antibiotic-induced pseudomembranous colitis. When it happens, it usually happens to patients who are hospitalized and on antibiotics. Anyhoo, it's not hard to do these cultures, but it's kind of fun because we have an anaerobic chamber (Clostridium is an anaerobe), where we put our hands inside these sleeves and work within the chamber. It looks really impressive, like pictures you see of the CDC, but it's really not a big deal. It was fun, anyway, to do something new.

 

Tags: , ,

No comments: