Friday, April 6, 2007

Bad Weather Mojo

I don't believe I've written on here about my little problem. It seems I have Bad Weather Mojo, which I will hereafter refer to as BWM.

It all started several years ago when I went to North Carolina in December for a week of training on a new lab instrument. Midway through the week, the weather turned bad, and the region got the worst ice storm it had had in oh, about a century. Trees were down everywhere, the hotel lost power, and I was lucky to make it to the airport when I did, because they closed down everything shortly after my flight.

A month or so later, I returned to North Carolina to finish my week of training. Midway through the week--again--we got snow, and everything shut down. By midwestern standards, it was totally minor, but this was the South, so that was that.

We were in New Orleans in July of '05, and got caught in Tropical Storm Cindy while on Bourbon Street. Our flight out a couple of days later was one of the last ones before Hurricane Dennis hit, and the airport shut down.

When we were in Oregon last year, it was cold and rainy, after a couple of nice weeks. In San Fransisco on the same trip, the weather was crummy and raining, and we got caught in a downpour one night while out on the Wharf.

When we went to Philadelphia just last month, we flew in right before that ice storm hit Philly and New York City.

Now here we are, our friends arrive from California tomorrow, and 2-4 inches of lake-effect snow is forecast. Apparently my BWM is affecting not only our own travels, but others' as well. I am drawing the bad weather to me like a moth to a flame. I'm not trying to use my powers for evil, but I don't seem to have much control over it.

And this summer, we have a vacation in Florida followed by a cruise. I wonder what the hurricane's name will be? I told Ken that I was going to tell people at work that he and the kids no longer want to travel with me, so I've got 3 spots available on the cruise. He said, "No, that's not quite right. The kids and I don't want to travel with you, we have ONE spot available, and we're taking the cat!"

No comments: