Sunday, April 29, 2007

Don't mess with The King

Did you watch "American Idol" last week, when they did their fundraising thing? It was actually pretty cool. It's heartbreaking to see such poverty and sickness, and I think it's important for us all to do or contribute at least a little. Just like I mentioned in the posts about everyone doing a little bit to help the planet, a small contribution to a worthy charity of your choice can add up to a lot. I was excited to hear that one of the charities AI was contributing to was Nothing But Nets. I read about them, and was planning on contributing. It's a simple concept: $10 will buy a mosquito net for an African family, and can help prevent malaria. If you think malaria is no big deal, the statistic is that a child dies of malaria every 30 seconds. It's a preventable disease! We had a sad case at my lab a few years ago. A local family had traveled back to visit relatives in Africa, and although they took preventive medicine for malaria, the strain they caught was resistant to the drug. One of the kids died, and the entire family struggled with the disease. It's definitely a big deal.

Okay, enough preaching. Just give a little, okay?

I'm writing about this because one of the things they had on "American Idol" was a duet with Celine Dion (don't care for her, not one bit) and...Elvis! It was the coolest thing! They used the video of him from the '68 comeback special singing "If I Can Dream," and morphed her into it. I told Cousin Shane about it and sent him the video. I thought the power of Elvis's voice showed how weak and puny Celine's voice is (again, I really do NOT like her), but Shane disagreed and thought she did a decent job. It was cool no matter what, but I still think she can't hold a candle to The King. Watch it here and see what you think.

Shane also mentioned that it prompted him to find the original video of just Elvis singing the song. I found it, too, and it's even more awesome. Some things are perfect just as they are, and maybe shouldn't be messed with. Watch THAT one here, and decide for yourself. If you think that Elvis was a joke or a cliché (although it's always fun to mess around and do the Elvis karate chop), we've got a problem, friend, because you need to do your homework and realize that he's one of the best. Ever.

On a different subject, Shane told me that he told his friend Sam about this blog, and Sam reads it fairly often. I have never met Sam, but let me say "Hiya Sam, and thanks for reading!" I'm surprised and pleased that someone who doesn't know me takes the time to read this. I just like to write (I kept a journal for years--I guess this is the Web equivalent, although there are things that I definitely keep to myself. I am not into full disclosure on the Web. A gal's gotta have some secrets.), and it's fun for me to do. I really appreciate that there are some people out there that like to read what I like to write. Thanks!

 

 

No comments: