Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Cake

I'm not sure if I mentioned this when I talked about putting music on our MP3 player, but I put a bunch of Cake on there. I was listening to music earlier, and "Short Skirt Long Jacket" came on. One of the things I love about this band is their lyrics and their sarcasm--okay, TWO of the things I love about this band is their lyrics, their sarcasm, and that their music is so danceable. Okay, THREE...never mind, you get the idea. (Love you, Monty!)

Anyhoo, I found the lyrics to that song:

I want a girl with a mind like a diamond
I want a girl who knows what's best
I want a girl with shoes that cut
And eyes that burn like cigarettes
I want a girl with the right allocations
who is fast and thorough and sharp as a tack,
She is playing with her jewelry, she is putting up her hair
She is touring the facility
and picking up slack
I want a girl with a short skirt and a
loooooong jacket

I want a girl who gets up early
I want a girl who stays up late
I want a girl with uninterrupted prosperity
Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
With fingernails that shine like justice
And a voice that is dark like tinted glass
She is fast, thorough and sharp as a tack,
She is touring the facility and picking up slack
I want a girl with a short skirt and a looong,
loooooong jacket

I want a girl with smooth liquidation
I want a girl with good dividends
At Citi Bank we will meet accidently
We will start to talk when she borrows my pen
She wants a car with a cup holder armrest
She wants a car that will get her there
She is changing her name from Kitty to Karen
She is trading her MG for a white, Chrysler LeBaron
I want a girl with a short skirt and a
loooooong jacket

The line in there that really gets me, and can bring tears to my eyes because I think it's just a beautiful turn of phrase, is "with fingernails that shine like justice." I'm not sure what it is about that, but I just love it.

I was going to take a picture of something and put it up here, but sanity prevailed. We got Sheeba a new litterbox, because the handle on the old one was cracking. All I could think of when I bought the new one was "Sheeba's got a brand new box!" Sung to the tune of "Papa's Got a Brand New Bag," of course. Then when I was setting up the new one, which seems considerably bigger than his old one, I kept thinking of the "The Jeffersons" song, like "Sheeba's movin' on up, to the East side, he finally got a piece of the pie." What is wrong with me?

No comments: