Thursday, August 9, 2007

Another one comes to the dark side

My friend Greg, AKA The Crepist, has commented on my post on his MySpace page. Cool! I agree, that was an extremely bizarre conversation. I think I've convinced him to start writing on his page, at least a little bit...we shall see! And come to find out, it looks like "crepist" is an actual thing, as in someone who makes crepes. Go figure! Who would want to be called a crepist? I find that funny. Perhaps it's pronounced with a short e.

I also discovered that there is another blog that linked to mine via Technorati. Guess what it is? A gambling blog! I cracked up. Hey, I don't have a problem. YOU got a problem?

Gee, I'm all about links today. I should also be linked up with outside.in, which is a nice site if you want to find out about a particular city or neighborhood. If I put the zip code in Tags, it's supposed to show up on their site (if I write about something going on in the area). It seems that these Tags really do work, because I found this little ol' blog in places about Dan Edwards, The Sopranos, etc.

Continuing in the geek vein, pardon me while I wax philosophical. When I was in high school, there was no such thing as a PC. When I was in college, I took ONE computer course, and it was some kind of weird computer language where you had to program your own stuff, and I was completely lost. My first PC was pre-Windows, and it used DOS. My first PC with Windows used Windows 3.1, and it was pre-high speed. I think my dialup connection was a blazing 5200 bps, or something like that. I think about that, and I am so amazed. This is truly one of the most important devices of the modern age. We have an unbelievable amount of information at our fingertips, we can visit websites of places we may never visit in real life (I still remember finding the Vatican library site online! One of the first inklings that this was an amazing thing.), and we can put our thoughts out there for anyone to read. It boggles my mind.

However, as Spidey knows, with great power comes great responsibility. I think we should be prudent in our use of the Web, including limiting our forwards to people (Don't just forward everything you receive...please take a moment to consider if the person you're sending it to really wants to get it!), and keeping in mind that everything we post is out there for people to see. I find it amusing to hear stories of people not getting jobs because employers checked their MySpace pages, or what have you. It's amazing the pictures that some people put up! Honestly, do you REALLY want the world to see you that way? I'm not intending to be judgmental, and I don't mean this to sound that way. It's just common sense to me.

And the same goes for the Web as goes for every other type of media--newspapers, magazines, television coverage, whatever: don't believe everything you read or hear! I cringe when I hear things like, "I know it's true. I saw it on TV." Sheesh. Investigate. Read more about it. Consider the sources. Take things with a grain of salt. And include a lime. Ha!

Later that night

DAH dah dah dah...dah dah dah DAH....

YES! Football is here! Well, just preseason, but oh, I am so excited. Tonight is a preseason Colts-Cowboys game. I know preseason means nothing, but it sure gets me psyched for the coming college and pro season. We'll probably watch a Star Trek episode rather than watch this game, but I find it so comforting to have football on TV. Ken and I have already had a discussion about dealing with the Bears (his #1 team) and the Colts (my #1 team), and my answer is I'm cheerin' for the Colts, but if the Colts don't make it to the Super Bowl, I'm cheerin' for the Bears. I think that's fair! Ooo, I can't wait to see what happens this season!

No comments: