Saturday, August 18, 2007

Musical Potpourri for 800, Alex

A while back, BMG had a big clearance sale, so I spent some time listening to snippets on their website and picking out some stuff by bands I'd never heard of, bands I'd heard of but never heard their songs, and a sentimental favorite in Soul Asylum Live from the Grand Forks Prom (since I used to live in Grand Forks before the big flood).

Some were a bust (Greg had told me that Maroon 5 was overrated--he was right. I thought they were pretty lame.), others were pretty decent (I liked The Strokes quite a bit), and one has become one of my absolute favorite CD's.

"Thirteen Tales From Urban Bohemia" by The Dandy Warhols. This is a band I'd heard of (how can you not love their name?) but I'd never heard any of their music. Sometimes a CD will just strike me, for whatever reason, and I have to play it over and over. I take our MP3 player to work, and I play the CD at least once per day. I can't quite put my finger on what I love about it. Their music is often described as psychedelic, but I'm not so sure I agree with that. I supposed there's a little trippiness involved there, but there are some good rockers on there, like the college radio hit "Bohemian Like You." The lead singer's voice is the kind that I love, too, that deep, sort of sonorous tone. There are a couple of songs that are almost instrumentals, with a sort of hypnotic feel. One of my favorite rockers is "Solid":

Well I must have a door in the back of my head
where I dump out all the crap so I can just feel solid again
no more sittin around thinkin about your hair
cause I must have a door in the back of my, back of my head


I got a beautiful new Asian girlfriend
she comes over and hangs around for days in my bed
you can't seriously believe I'm thinking about you man
cause I must have a door in the back of my, back of my head


well it's a brand new day and I'm walking around old town
I feel cool as shit cause I got no thoughts keeping me down
I'm thinking blah de blah blah blah to your trip
cause I must have a door in the back of my, back of my head
back of my head
must have a door there

I especially love that line, "I'm thinking blah de blah blah blah to your trip." Next time someone is talking AT you instead of with you, or someone is being a jerk, just think that to yourself. "Blah de blah blah blah to your trip."

No comments: