Thursday, August 16, 2007

Looky what I got!

Before I get to my nifty new thing, I'll tell you about our awesome storm last night. I forget how many lightning strikes they counted, but it was something like tens of thousands. I looked out back, and I could see the sky over the large oaks at the back of the yard--the sky looked like a strobe light. It was spectacular, but then I love thunderstorms. We learned our lesson with lightning, though, and we shut down the computer, unplugged the modem, and turned off the satellite receiver. Everything made it through okay, including poor Sheeba who is very scared of thunder.

Oh, and Ken did go and buy a new computer last weekend, just the tower, so it wasn't all that expensive. With Vista, we find that the laptop seems sluggish compared to our old computer, and we think that the laptop might have limited RAM. Hopefully things will speed up now. My stepson is quite happy to strip the old computer for stuff like the graphics card, the hard drive, etc. Everybody's happy!

Okay, my new thing. I'm quite excited about this, although I'm sure it will mean next to nothing to most people. A while back, I talked about the Alba Court Inn, in New Smyrna Beach. Just out of curiosity, I googled it and found there was a listing on eBay! (Proof once again, that if you want something, even something incredibly obscure, you just might find it on eBay.) I'm pleased to say I was the high bidder, and I got it today. It's a postcard, and although there isn't a date, I'd guess it's from the 1950's. It was never sent, so the back is in perfect shape. Here's a picture of how the place looks now:

Now here's a picture of the postcard (I'm afraid our scanner still isn't up and running, so I just took a picture). The above picture is to the right of the building in the postcard image, and you can see the chimney.

What a lovely place! Apparently they eventually added an addition to the small porch that's on the postcard, plus outside steps going up to the second level, where you can walk on the roof of the porch. Here's the writeup on the back of the postcard:

Every room has running water! Fancy! I'm so pleased I found this. I was thrilled to finally walk around the place and get some pictures before it was torn down, so to have a picture of what it looked like when it was open for business is extra special. I spent less than $10 on it, and it's made me very happy. I can't wait to try and find a frame so that the back can be seen...I'm thinking one of those acrylic frames will work.

No comments: