Thursday, September 6, 2007

Today's count

Carrying in the groceries: 1

Taking out the garbage:   4

Total mosquito bites:        5

These unholy pests are unbelievable right now. After my errands this morning, I stopped my car in the driveway to check our mailbox, and when I walked back to the car, they were swarming around my dual exhausts. A few moments ago, there were at least a dozen of them clinging to the screen on the door to the garage. It's insane! About an hour ago, our UPS man dropped off a package at the front door. I've never seen him run before, and wondered what was going on. As soon as he set the package by the door, he was off, and then I realized that he had to walk through the trees in the front yard, so he was probably being eaten alive.

When I went out to get the mail, I actually RAN, and I had a piece of cardboard with me to wave around. I'm sure I looked like a crazy woman, but I didn't get a bite this time. I feel all itchy now, though.

Can you imagine how creepy it must have been in the south when Yellow Fever was such a scourge? I've read that people actually left town to avoid it, but there were still thousands of deaths. For that matter, how awful to be in an area with endemic malaria in this day and age. I'd be a goner, for sure. As much as I love summer, I'm finding myself hoping for that first hard freeze. Or at least something to kill some of them off. I feel like a prisoner in my own home! (She said dramatically.)

Later

Thank God for the good guys....

Indy children’s hospital named after Colts’ Manning


By CLIFF BRUNT
Associated Press Reporter


INDIANAPOLIS (AP) — Peyton Manning has a collection of MVP trophies and starred in numerous commercials. Now, the Colts quarterback has a children's hospital named after him.

The St. Vincent Children's Hospital was renamed Wednesday as Peyton Manning Children's Hospital at St. Vincent.

Manning has had a strong public and private relationship with the hospitals since he joined the Colts in 1998. He said he was honored to be so closely associated with the children's hospital, which St. Vincent opened in 2003 to care for critically ill and injured children.

"In the NFL, the name on the back of the jersey is emblematic of a player's commitment to contribute in any way he can to the success of that team," Manning said. "For me, having my name on the front of this building carries with it much the same — a weighty responsibility to contribute to the many victories ahead here at St. Vincent."
Manning, who was joined by his wife and parents for the announcement, said he has met many of this hospital's patients and their families over the years.

The hospital lobby was packed with dozens of children wearing blue Manning jerseys, and they cheered loudly as he was introduced during the ceremony. Manning later teamed up with 14-year-old cancer patient Sydney Taylor of Brownsburg to unveil the banner bearing the hospital's new name.

Officials didn't say how much money Manning has donated to the facility.

Manning's time in the spotlight Wednesday was much different from the attention Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick has received for his involvement in illegal dogfighting. Manning's father, former NFL quarterback Archie Manning, said role models such as his son are good for the NFL, and he wishes more was said about them.

"Every time a player stubs his toe, there's about 10 doing really good work, and it doesn't always get reported," he said. "There's some great people in this league, some great programs going on."

Archie Manning said he felt he witnessed his son's "greatest moment."

"I think a lot of people, from a distance, think you're proud because he threw so many touchdowns or he won a Super Bowl," the elder Manning said. "I think when you give back and help other people and better other people's lives, as a parent, there's no more pride than what that gives you."

The hospital, which has sites on the north side of Indianapolis and northern suburban Carmel, specializes in treating children with complex, chronic or congenital conditions. It has 46 inpatient beds and 15 beds in a pediatric intensive care unit, as well as 17 private rooms in the pediatric emergency department.

St. Vincent operates one of two children's hospitals in Indianapolis. Clarian Health Partners runs the other, Riley Hospital for Children.

No comments: