Saturday, September 1, 2007

Game day!

Yippee! Football is finally here!

Ken is golfing this morning, and I'm puttering on the computer, as well as doing some laundry. I want to get my chores done before kickoff at 3:30.

It's a glorious day for football, too! Sunny, high 70's this afternoon falling to low 70's by the end of the game. I bet there will be some parties going on tonight--yikes! One thing about ND home football weekends: we try to stay home. The restaurants and bars are just crazy, but that's good for the city. Apparently the home football weekends bring in about $6 million per weekend to the city. Can you imagine? It's just crazy.

I got all the stuff for our game day dinner. For a lot of games, we love to have snack food: a variety of cheeses, peppers, olives, pickles, crackers, that kind of thing. I also like to bake a brie. It's really easy: Put a small wheel or wedge of brie in a pie pan. Top with caramel sauce and sliced almonds. Bake 10-15 minutes at 350° or until cheese is melty. Serve with apple wedges. Yummy!

I also put together some salsa last night. That was easy, too, it just takes a while to chop everything up. I chop up several tomatoes; a good-sized onion; and several jalapenos (and banana peppers if I've got them). I add a small can of tomato sauce to make it all come together, then add some salt, garlic powder and/or garlic salt. That's it! (Let it sit in the fridge overnight--it's much better if it has time to sit and blend.) I know most people put cilantro in salsa, but I'm not a big fan of the cilantro for some reason. I just like the fresh veggies all blending together. I don't make it real hot, because I don't like it hot, but Ken usually adds some Tabasco sauce to his bowl.

Gee, you'd think that I'm more excited about the food than I am the game! Not so, my friend. It's fun to put out a spread of snacks like this, but the game is what's really exciting. And with all the hype about Charlie Weis and his excellent recruiting, we're all anxious to see some results. Again, I don't think this will be a stellar season, but as long as we see some promise, I think we'll all be fairly happy. Oh, one thing I've read is that Golden Tate is going to be one of the return guys. Like I've mentioned before, with a name like that, he's gotta be good! Maybe we'll get to see him run it back for a TD. That'd be cool!

Post Game Show

Ouch. A rough day for the Irish and fans. We got spanked!

Demetrius was indeed the starter, and oh my...the poor guy. He couldn't get anything going, and the worst thing was that I don't think he completed a pass. He has promise, but it was not a good day for him. I felt bad for him. Charlie rightly put in Evan Sharpley, and he looked a little better. He completed a few passes and moved the ball, and they were able to get a field goal (so at least it wasn't a shutout). But Sharpley doesn't seem to have a lot of mobility. In the fourth quarter, Charlie gave Jimmy Clausen the nod, and he played a couple of series. I think I can sum up my feelings by saying that I was pleased, astonished, and hopeful all at once. He doesn't have it all together yet, but the kid's got chops. He was firing some passes that were dead on. One of the best omens was that right before Clausen took the field, he was talking to Charlie...and Clausen was grinning. That tells me he's got some confidence and poise, and that he was ready to play. I don't know if he'll get the start next week, but he looked pretty darn good today.

No comments: