Tuesday, April 15, 2008

A caption, cats, and Cardinal Richelieu

I was happy to get an email from Krissy and Val via Magic Smoke today that I won the caption contest. Sweet! You can see the picture and my entry here. My other thought when I saw the picture was, "Does this mirror make my ass look big?" I decided to go with a milder one. Thanks Krissy and Val for running such a fun contest, and thanks whoever in J-Land who voted for my caption! You can see my little banner in the About Me section to the left. Also in the About Me section is my Finetune playlist. I had emailed the Magic Smoke editors to try to get that site added so that I could embed the code, and a day or so later, there it is! Thanks Vish, that's gotta be a new landspeed record! It's a drag that the list is a little too wide for the sidebar and won't scrunch, but I can live with that for a while...until I get tired of it. I like that you have to hit Play to get it to go, rather than it being autoplay when you open this page. The choice is in your hands. Choose wisely....

I got up at 7:30 this morning, but Ken is working from home today in his transition to working a nightshift Wednesday, so he slept later. Nothing like a nightshift smack-dab in the middle of your week to really throw you off-kilter! After a quick trip to the grocery store, I stripped the bed and Ken and I flipped off the mattress, I washed some towels, that kind of junk. Since then, Ken has been doing "work" work, and I've been catching up on magazines. It's not quite as bad as the twin peaks of Book Mountain, but I've got a good 3-month backlog here, and I'm tired of looking at this pile of mags.

I'm not sure why I didn't sleep well last night, but I started waking up when the birds started singing. Believe me, I love our birds, especially our Northern Cardinals, but those suckers are LOUD! I love working in the yard and seeing them up in a tree, hollering their heads off, but it's a different story when they're right outside our window, screaming bloody murder. I wish Richelieu would turn down the volume a bit. (Nutwood Trivia: Richelieu is the name our friend Steve gave to one of our cardinals when he and Kim were visiting last year. A tad more creative than our critter name formula, which results in names like Groundy, Hummy, and Batty. I probably would have named Richelieu something clever like...Red.)

Sheeba was sleeping curled up in a ball by me last night. As I started waking up, I rolled onto my back, and Sheeba turned over a little, too, and put all 4 of his paws up against my side. When I stretched, he stretched, too, and stuck out a back leg so it was over my stomach. He didn't seem to be a bit bothered by Richelieu! Since I've been home all day, Sheeba and I have been "bonding." We started yesterday morning when he tried to jump onto the air conditioner in the window at the head of our bed, missed, and landed with all 4 paws on my shoulder and back. I think I might have said, "Ooof!" He's a very good kitty, but it's probably not necessary to bond THAT much.

Oh, I've got another lab picture for you! Aubrey sent me a few more.

 

Just a slight alteration of the photo on my part. Notice that Sarah is trying to pretend that she's not a shrimp like me, in fact, that she's as tall as Jillian! Nice try, Sarah, but I told you I was going to point out that footstool if I got a copy of this picture!

 

 

Perhaps more later. Ken has a management group meeting tonight, so I'll be left to my own devices for a few hours tonight. Uh-oh.... 

 

 

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your winning the Caption game!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink

Anonymous said...

congratulations girl you deserve it I will check out your side bar next
have a great day
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on winning the Caption contest :o)

So glad that you and Sheeba are bonding, because he has been so neglected up until this point in his life.  

J-Land, I shall do my best to get home in no more than two and a half hours tonight to save you from Beth's unsupervised early evening hours :o)  http://journals.aol.com/buckoclown/Bucko

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the Caption Award ! I knew that one was going to be one of the best when I read it the first time.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Beth-

Congrts on the caption contest!! Also, thanks for pointing out the footstool-Ha, ha -Oh well, I'm still a "shorty" and always will be. Miss ya already.

Sarah ;o)

Anonymous said...

Congrats again, Beth!!  I'm glad you went with the milder quote.  LOL  I will be posting another picture in about an hour or so if you want to come back and try again!!  Hugs, Val xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

Anonymous said...

that is a good pic of you and the coworkers. Congrats on winning that contest. I went to finetunes but do not have time now to figure it all out. Long ago they said you could add a code to the journals to put one song into your journal but i never did figure that one out either. Enjoy the magazines!
HUGS