Wednesday, February 27, 2008

That didn't last long

Today, I'm going to go for a change of pace and talk about...politics!

Yes, I AM going to write about a couple of things, but I'm not all fired up at the moment, so it should be fairly low-key. Let's just hope I don't get on a roll....

First, there's talk radio host Bill Cunningham and his opening comments for a John McCain speech. I've never heard of the guy, but apparently he's influential in his little corner of the world, and has a show on Fox News (which I don't watch). I found his comments nothing more than posturing, and I tend not to pay attention to stuff like that, but I guess it came across as fairly offensive. (Obama's middle name is Hussein. This seems to be a big deal to some. So? There was a guy in my internship class named Hussein, and he was one of the kindest and sweetest people I've known.) Senator McCain showed his class and honor by apologizing for it, taking full responsibility for it, and assuring that it will not happen again. (Obama basically said, "Okay. We're cool," and that was the end of that.) And then what happened? Cunningham started attacking McCain for his apology! This was the guy whose rally he was just speaking at, and Cunningham turns around and starts badmouthing him. The guy's got balls, I'll give him that. But that's fitting, because he's a DICK.

On to the debate! We watched the whole thing, and it was pretty entertaining, but then I really like Brian Williams and Tim Russert. Was Russert dogpiling on Hillary? Yeah, probably. However, my opinion is that she brought it on herself with her strange and antagonistic behavior as of late. Everything stayed pretty civil, which was good, but I have to say that I found her tactics of speaking over people extremely irritating...because that is one of my pet peeves. I have a fairly quiet voice, and I find it so rude and irritating to be constantly interrupted. We all do it on occasion, myself included, but when it happens over and over, it drives me batty, and that's what she was doing last night. Grrrr! She just would not stop talking a few times, to the point where Brian Williams had to completely cut her off. I know that some probably saw her behavior as strong and aggressive, but I just saw it as rude. I also understand that she was trying to make up lost ground and throw a knockout punch in this debate, but I don't think she succeeded. Obama held his own, came across as calm and collected, and while there were no fireworks on either of their parts, I think his demeanor was a little more...presidential, shall we say?

So there you go! I think I did pretty good with keeping things civil, except for calling Cunningham a dick. But that was deserved, so I think I'm okay there.

Off to finish the Stephen King book! Bad things are happening right now on Duma Key....

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My vote is that we adopt the British method of elections, a short 30 day campaign followed by elections.  For more differences between the two processes, follow the link: http://www.historylearningsite.co.uk/american_v_british

The debate was entertaining, but nothing new really materialized. :o)

Anonymous said...

LOL...we all have our opinions...and if you feel that strongly about Mr. Cunningham, then so be it!
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

I agree with buckoclown I am so over this election.
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

are you near the end of Duma Key? I am so glad you enjoy that book.
Pres. Bill Clinton came to my city Sunday night and a friend got great pics and a handshake. I will journal about it if i ever have time.
Hugs, lisa

Anonymous said...

There's Richards and then there's Dicks. Cunningham is a Dick !

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I'm a book behind in the Stephen King reading....I just finished Blaze. In the end you have to wonder if the baby is now Blaze's spirit, with George looking out for him or Blaze is the spirit looking out for little Joe....I find it sad, Blaze deserved a better life. They had a small excerpt from Duma Key in the back of the book, the next time I'm at the bookstore that is definitely on my list.

As for the current elections...I'm so over it already. We have enough background on each candidate and what they stand for already to make a concise decision. I will add, although John McCain seems to stand on his own well, he's also voted against every environment green bill that has been put in front of him. I want a candidate that will support ALL my concerns, at this point I'm beginning to think if we find one that is looking out for our countries welfare we will fortunate. (Hugs) Indigo