Saturday, June 7, 2008

Home is where your story begins

There really is no place like home.

As sad as I always am to say goodbye to New Smyrna Beach, I'm always pleased to get home.

I learned a lesson on Friday: my 45-year-old stomach doesn't tolerate fried food as much as my 25-year-old stomach did! As good as our lunch at JB's was on Friday, I really didn't feel well Friday night--what a bummer for our last night! I felt especially bad, because Ken made swordfish steaks on the grill, and they were SO good, and cooked perfectly, but I just couldn't eat very much. He understood, but I still felt bad. By this morning, I felt okay, but like I said...lesson learned! Note to self: broiled, grilled, baked, steamed...but not deep fried.

We took a walk on the beach this morning, down to Breakers--not to eat or drink, but just to take one last walk on this vacation, and throw some leftover bread out for the birds. It was already warm, but it was nice to get my toes into the sand one last time, and take a walk with my hubby.

What a great week--it's always fun to get back there and enjoy the beach and the ocean. We also agreed this morning that we probably will never want to live in Florida full time. As we were doing all the last-minute things, like stripping the beds and gathering all the towels together, taking out the recycling and garbage, loading the car...we had worked up quite a sweat by 10 AM! It's one thing to be sitting on the balcony in our swimsuits and quite another to be dressed "respectably" and have to exert any effort whatsoever! I'm sure that you acclimate and can get used to it--I've got plenty of relatives who have lived there for years and love it, and I'm sure my pal Jimmy feels the same way--but it's sure rough to deal with after our cooler climes here!

As for our cooler clime here--not so much! It's quite warm and humid, and Sheeba is shedding like mad. He's also a very happy kitty now that we're home--Cousin Shane and Uncle John took great care of him, but Sheeba has been laying on the table in front of us and wanting attention. It's pretty funny! But I'm also happy to see Sheeba...I just need to brush him well tomorrow!

Oh my goodness--when I talked to Mom after we got home, she mentioned that there was a lot of rain in central Indiana and there was flooding. We're watching CNN, and it's terrible! I know and worked with people who live in some of these counties, and I hope and pray that they are all okay. 41 counties in Indiana have been declared as flood emergencies. Wow. Amazing what can happen in a week.

I'll be working on laundry tomorrow while Ken works on mowing the lawn, but I'll also work on pictures and videos. More to come!

It's great to be back, and I appreciate you all reading my and Ken's entries--brief as both of ours might have been--while we were gone. I'll be catching up with all of you as soon as possible!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice to be home, even though that means only one more day before I get back to the grind.

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you guys are home safe and sound and that you had a wonderful vacation.  I'm with you on the cooler climes!  I like to visit my relatives in Florida, but I wouldn't want to live there.  Even though, here, this past week or more, we've had humid 90° weather, still we know that cooler temps are coming.  I hadn't realized there'd been so much rain further up North until I drove down by the river today and saw how high it is getting.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!!
Cant wait to catch up on some more pictures!
Be well,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the Friday night sickness. Glad that you two had a great time and that you got back home safely. Helen

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back safe and sound!  Look forward to pics!
xoxo ~myra

Anonymous said...

Welcome home

Anonymous said...

we had massive flooding in my county too. I am glad you two made it home safely. I like Florida but man, Orlando almost killed me. I hope your tummy is doing much better!
HUGS

Anonymous said...

I am always so glad to get home after a trip. I go downstate every year fro Christmas with my mom and dad. I am alwasy happy to see home again. I am with you with fried food. My stomach hurts for days after eating it. I am glad that you had a wonderful vacation. I cant wait to see the pics...love, Christine

Anonymous said...

I lived in Fla. for 9 years, from the age of 9 til 18. I'll never forget the first time returning to NY it was mid. Sept. the temps were in the mid 60's and I was freezing. I went around wearing a couple shirts and a sweater. Everyone would laugh...it took awhile for me to aclimate to the difference in temp and weather. Now that I've been here for almost 25 years, the heat gets to me.

One of the things I missed in Fla. was the changing seasons. Gotta tell you Christmas lights in Palm Trees just doesn't do it for you. Glad you made it back safe and sound hon. Hope all the flooding in your state didn't effect you.
Rest up, missed your entries. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

glad you had a wonderful trip and are home sweet home
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

opps! I thought you were from Florida!
sounds like you had a  great time with the kids... does teh beach have a lot of white sand? sea shells?
natalie