Monday, December 10, 2007

Secret Word of the Day

(Pee-Wee)

I had no problem on the roads this morning. Yay! There was definitely ice here and there, but even our rural road seemed to have been salted. In talking to people at work who had been out and about on the weekend, it was crazy slick. A few people fell, but everyone was okay. I was talking to one of our nice security guards at work this morning, and he said they'd double-salted the parking lot, but that when he got there the night before, it was like a skating rink. We're supposed to get more of...whatever it ends up being...tonight. At first it was sleet and freezing rain. This afternoon I heard snow and sleet. I guess we'll just wait and see what happens! Life is lahk an Indiana winter--you never know what you're gonna get. <doing her best Forrest Gump voice>

At the risk of sounding like Andy Rooney, have you ever encountered that certain tribe of people who seem to relish getting into a debate with you? They will say deliberately provocative things in order to create drama where none exists, and they do the verbal equivalent of poking a snake with a stick. I work with someone like that, and I've run into them in other places, as I'm sure we all have. What tickles me is that when you finally refute their inaccurate statements (the recent situation was the comment, "People from Iowa are really mean." I said, "Oh, [person's name], they are not. I know people from Iowa and they're really nice.") with a simple statement of fact, they usually tend to react in a very juvenile way, using childish phrases, I guess because they can't think of an intelligent response, or they just have nothing to back up their statements. It makes me think of the line from one of my favorite movies: "I know you are, but what am I?" from "Pee-Wee's Big Adventure."

Wha--? Pee-Wee?? AAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH! Take it, Pee-Wee!

No comments: