Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Six of one, half a dozen of the other

Last night we got our first big snow of the season here at our little hacienda, in our little pueblo. Amounts varied throughout the area, but we got six inches. I knew the Mustangs wouldn't be able to make it out of the driveway, so Slick and Blackie stayed home while Blue (the truck) took us to work. Ken dropped me off, then went on to his job. The main roads weren't too bad, but when we left, they hadn't plowed our road yet, so I wouldn't have been able to get very far! Ken is out snowblowing the driveway at the moment, and should be done fairly soon. The temperature is really dropping, so I think tonight I'll make some clam chowder, or as we like to call it around here, chowdah. I'm also trying a recipe I found for beer bread--self-rising flour, a can of beer, mix, bake. How easy is that? It's not sourdough, but it'll have to do, and it's in the oven right now.

Since the writers' strike is messing with our TV shows, we've been watching our "Sopranos" DVD's. I know I've written before about this show, but I just can't say enough about how good it is. James Gandolfini is scary-good as Tony. I was talking to Sarah (a fellow Sopranos fan) about it today, and I said that you really can't help but love Tony a little bit--he does some funny things, and he obviously has quite a bit of humanity in him. But then he gets that flat look in his eyes, and you're reminded that he's a stone cold killer. It's so subtle, and it's brilliant. I always thought the critics' comments about how it's the best show on TV had to be exaggerated...but they aren't. Of course, it's not on TV anymore, but I can see us enjoying these DVD's for years. And please make a movie! Most of the cast say they've moved on and don't want to do a movie. I say money talks, and even Gandolfini has a price.

No comments: