Sunday, March 16, 2008

Cauliflower...it's what's for dinner

Nah, not just cauliflower. I had intended to cook a pork loin roast in the crockpot today, but I forgot to take the roast out of the freezer last night, so the pork roast is a no-go. Instead, it's pork chops (Ken has started cooking them), a big salad, and something new: roasted cauliflower. (Thanks for being a good sport, Kennypig!)

Roasted cauliflower is pretty much the same as roasted asparagus. Roasting has become our favorite way to cook asparagus, and Shane tried it a while back and really liked it. Toss the veggies with olive oil and kosher salt, and pop it in the oven. Asparagus takes 10-15 minutes at 450°, but cauliflower takes 30-45. Asparagus gets a nice, caramelized texture when fixed this way, and I'm hoping that the cauliflower will be similar. We love our cruciferous veggies, and I'm already thinking that roasted broccoli might be pretty darn good, too. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Hey...can you roast carrots? I bet you can! Hmm!

Later that evening...

Ken's pork chops were excellent! And I think we were both very pleased with the roasted cauliflower. Yum! We watched "One Hour Photo" with Robin Williams--he actually does a creepy bad guy very well.

<sigh> We're off to bed after a great weekend. I keep reminding myself that I have just two more to go...this coming weekend will be my penultimate, and I can't begin to say how happy I am to use that word! 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Such big words, I just say YUM!  

Anonymous said...

Roasted carrots with a little honey is fabulous as is butternut squash.

take care

Yasmin

Anonymous said...

i loved that movie with Robin Williams......my daughter loves cauliflower but not me but i love asparagus. Never had either roasted though. So glad to hear you two had a good weekend.
HUGS, lisa

Anonymous said...

the roasted asparagus is great!  in fact, it gets the "cousin shane" stamp of approval!  :)  i bet broccoli and cauliflower prepared that way is equally as yummy.

i like to steam my carrots with a little bit of butter and brown sugar.  that's a tasty way to make them, also.

cousin shane