Monday, March 10, 2008

Saved by the Redhead

I felt like a gal in a country song today: lowdown-dirty-and-mean, gloom, despair, and agony on me. I think it's a combination of being tired of winter, tired of the workload at the lab, and well, just plain ol' tired.

Things started looking up after I got off work. I went to the grocery store for a few things, among them an eggplant, fresh mozzarella, and some real Parmesan to grate. Ken is heading for Columbus for a couple of days this week, and although I'll miss him, he reminded me that it's a chance to make my favorite dish: Eggplant Parmigiana. (He doesn't like eggplant, so I never make it as dinner for the two of us.) It was fun to anticipate how good it will taste, especially with the fresh mozzarella. I'll whip that up on my day off, which is Wednesday.

Things got even better when Ken got home. He knew I was feeling blue because...well, I told him. Ha! So he has been doing his best to make me laugh, and he's always able to do that. He took out the recycling, and we'll have leftover steak (he cooked yesterday, and broiled what amounted to a LOT of steak), a nice salad with blue cheese dressing, and a baked potato. An almost effortless dinner!

Finally, I got to thinking about what would really make me laugh, and lift me out of this funk. What else? Lucy!

                     

I found a clip of her talking to Merv Griffin (they're both gone now, can you believe that?), and turns out that MY favorite episode was also one of her favorites! How cool is that? By the time I finished watching, I was laughing so hard I had little tears in my eyes, and they weren't sad tears, they were laughter tears. Thanks Ken, and thanks Lucy!

While I haven't completely shaken "the sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament" experienced by Dr. Evil and by those of us who live in the snow belt, I definitely feel better. Even just thinking about Dr. Evil's monologue made me laugh. One more day, then I can enjoy a day here at home!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah, yes - Lucy is always funny.  Glad that I could make you laugh.  I point you to my "Snot Funny" entry; laughter is the best cure all.  
http://journals.aol.com/buckoclown/Bucko/entries/2008/03/06/snot-funny/2229

Anonymous said...

i know that Ken loves that blue cheese dressing.....tell him to be careful going to Columbus....is that Ohio? I wonder if their 20 inches of snow will be melted?
I know how you feel with the gloom and despair. You seem to be the type that gets over that quickly. I hope tomorrow at work goes quickly for you!
HUGS, lisa

Anonymous said...

OH I LOVE eggplant parmesan and LUCY!  If you're making it Wed then make enough for me too.  LOL   Enjoy every bite!

Robin

Anonymous said...

Always one of my favorite shows and can't tell you the number of ladies to whom I've said either, "Lucy, I'm home" or "Lucy, you got some 'splainin' to do !

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Jimmy, sometimes I just have to say, "Waaaaah, Rickyyyy!"

Beth