Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Crikey! Crocuses!

 

 

My mini-crocuses that had popped up and were on the verge of opening...well, they opened today! (I also have some larger, deeper purple crocuses up by the house, and they should open up tomorrow.) There's also a yellow mini-crocus, but it hasn't opened fully yet.

 

 

 

 

 

I took 5 pictures of them, and I hope you'll indulge me as I put all 5 of them up here. I think I'm so starved for greenery and warmth that these little crocuses have just made my day (and I didn't have a bad one to begin with!).

 

 

 

 

 

 

While crocuses aren't my favorite flower (I have to go with Shasta daisies--they're so cheery, and they bloom in the heat of summer, so they just say summer to me.), I think they're special to most of us in winter climes, because they're a sign of hope.

 

 

 

 

 

Winters can seem awfully long here, and it's right about this time that we all start getting especially tired of the snow and very anxious for spring. Crocuses give us a light at the end of the tunnel. They push through a carpet of leaves (and here at Nutwood, that's a mighty thick carpet) even when it's still chilly, and let us know that if we hold out just a little bit longer, we'll soon be sitting out on the deck enjoying the sunshine, opening all the windows to let the warm breeze air out the house, planting things in the garden, and firin' up the grill.

It also reminds me that I need to get busy with my garden plan for this year. I need to figure out what I'm going to plant and where. I don't think I'll do much different this year, just the usual suspects, but I do need to figure out my crop rotation.

Summer isn't here yet, and we've still got some cold weather ahead of us (I just hope we don't get a bunch more snow--yuck), but with these pretty little crocuses, at least I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.

 


Tags:

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

They look lovely gives a better interpretation that Spring is on it's way finally, I too have to think about my garden and what to plant this year. Your use of the work "Crikey" is very British...lol tended to be used more by the upper classes most of lowlier types(laughing) tend to use "Blimey" which means the same thing really.

Take care

Yasmin
xx

Anonymous said...

Yasmin, I think "crikey" has crept into our language because of Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter. Although I think I kind of like "Blimey!" better!

Beth

Anonymous said...

What great photographs....I've never seen that particular flower before. Obviously, I'm "borrowing" one !

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Be my guest, Jimmy!

Anonymous said...

Criblimey :o)
Pretty flowers.  Go spring. :o)

Anonymous said...

i love seeing your flowers......i hope Ohio turns green soon!
HUGS, lisa

Anonymous said...

Crikey, Blimey whichever way you look at it Spring is in the air - FINALLY. I'm keeping my fingers and toes crossed there is NO more snow. Speaking of Spring apparently my Easter post brought out the trolls for the season. Anyone that knows me, should know Pickles would never be allowed to eat or destroy a rabbit. Apparently me the Animal Advocate is being hounded as a false prophet....Eh comes with the territory. Nothing to ruin a mood like a lurking troll. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Sorry I didn't mean to put all that in a comment. Sometimes the brain takes over the fingertips. I truly am delighted with the blooming of the Crocuses. I'm planning on putting more of an effort into my own garden this year. I usually go with Perennials, it's nice not to worry from year to year what to do with the garden. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!  No blossoms here yet 'cept in the green houses.  We had a white Easter... again!  Is it spring yet?
Dorn~

Anonymous said...

Beautiful flowers, I also have purple crocuses in bloom. They have sort of withered away after a couple of cold nights but my purple atriums are now in bloom. It's supposed to be in the mid to upper 70s for the five day forecast. I hope that spring is here to stay!--Sheria