Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Avast ye scallywags!

 
Ahoy, me hearties! Time to give ye a heads-up!
 
Friday September 19 is Talk Like a Pirate Day! Blow me down!
 
Arrrr!
 
That's right, now is the time for all ye scurvy dogs to batten down the hatches. Arrrr!
 
Avast ye landlubbers...time to lace up your boots, cover up that empty eye socket, and grab your parrot!
 
Arrrr!
 
As you may have noticed, the main trick to talking like a pirate is to say, "Arrrr!" a lot. In fact, that's all you really need to do. At the end of every sentence, just throw in an "Arrrr!" You can do this at any time. Are you in a staff meeting? "I'll get that information for you by 4 PM, sir. Arrrr!" On the phone with a client? "Can you please hold? Arrrr!" Getting your test results? "Give it to me straight, Doc. Arrrr!"
 
The beauty of Talk Like a Pirate Day is that anyone can do it! Visit Cap'n Slappy and Ol' Chumbucket at their site for some advanced lingo, and even get some pickup lines for both pirates and pirate wenches. Click through to the Pirate Links at the Talk Like a Pirate site to get your own pirate name. Mine is Cap'n Evelyn Fancypants. Arrrr!
 
One of my favorite things about Talk Like a Pirate Day is telling pirate jokes.
 
Things like:
 
What is a pirate's favorite fast food restaurant?
 
Long John Silver's?
 
No, matey! Arrrrby's!
 
and
 
What kind of socks does a pirate wear?
 
Arrrrgyle!
 
and
 
What is a pirate's favorite kind of Physics?
 
Parrrrticle physics! (Thanks, Bucko!)
 
and
 
What does a pirate think happens at the end of time?
 
Arrrrmageddon!
 
One more? Please?
 
What is a pirate's favorite basketball move?
 
A jump hook. Arrrr!
 
Mark your calendars, and don't be hoist by your own petard. Join me on the poop deck and per'aps ye won't be keelhauled.
 
And remember...dead men tell no tales.
 
Arrrr!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

My Pirate Name:  Captain Tom Rackham

Even though there's no legal rank on a pirate ship, everyone recognizes you're the one in charge. You have the good fortune of having a good name, since Rackham (pronounced RACKem, not rack-ham) is one of the coolest sounding surnames for a pirate. Arr!

The first scallywag to pronounce it wrong will be'a walkin the plank! Arrrr!

Anonymous said...

I like Vikings better. Can I talk like a Viking?  I remember telling someone they invaded Waterford in 795 & she thought I meant Conn instead of Ireland :-).

Anonymous said...

LOL

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Legless Deb Jones sends a biggggg arrrrrrrrggghhh your way!  :0

Anonymous said...

The way I write and spell perhaps chinese day woudl be better  arrrrrrr !!

Love SYbil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

Cap'n Evelyn Fancypants,

Ahoy, me matey! I hope the sea's arrrn't to ruff for ya arrr! May the winds blow ya in the direction you need be arrrr! May the sky be red for yaa this coming evening, arrrrr!

May the sea be kind to you, Arrrrr!

Cap'n Loren Wesley

Anonymous said...

OMG I would so love to be in a meeting or on the phone with a client and throw in ARRR! at the end of each sentence.  I am LOL here in my office right now just thinking about it.  Thanks for the laugh this morning, I needed it!  Linda

Anonymous said...

OMG, those were hysterical.  Take care, honey xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/JoyInTheRain

Anonymous said...

... I can see and hear you in the office now ... in the breakroom claiming unattended lunches as 'your booty' and such ...

Anonymous said...

Oh...I missed it...you see I've been turing off alerts all week.  Anyway, I guess we got it covered!  I'll check the link for my pirate name and add it to my entry. Linda in WA

Anonymous said...

cute! :0 argh way way and away Mate'!
:):) glubglub
natalie

Anonymous said...

Arrrrrr...I missed the day but I'll "arrrrr" the rest of today to make up for it.  LOL
Lisa