Thursday, September 4, 2008

Going Under

 
Hey, I won Magic Smoke's caption contest! Thanks for running this contest, Krissy and Val, the captions are always a lot of fun. Thanks to everyone who voted for my caption!
 
It's been a rainy day here at Nutwood, but that's a very good thing! I suppose this is the remnant of Gustav. We were way low on rain, so I'm happy to see some. It's surprisingly cool, though! It was hot and humid yesterday, but when the storm came through, it cooled it right down, and it's only 70° this afternoon. My toes are cold...I might have to put on some socks! (At this point, Ken will probably say, "What's new?" My toes get cold a lot.) Maybe I'll just put on my toe socks, because my heels don't feel cold. I think that would be a very attractive look, don't you?
 
I talked to Mom and Dad today, who made it home safely from their short trip to Salyersville, Kentucky for the historical society festival. They picked up my Aunt June along the way, and Mom said that they all had such a wonderful time. She was so excited about all the activities and all the things they got to do, and I just sat back and listened! Ha ha! I'm glad they had such a great time.
 
Tomorrow I'm taking in Ken's Mustang for service. I suppose I'll wait for it, but it depends on how long they think it will take. I feel so antsy sitting there, feeling like I could be doing something else...like sitting here. Ha! Actually, it's always good reading time, so I'll make sure I take something along. If they say it's going to be 3 hours, I think I'll have them take me home and pick me up when the car is done. It's not that far away, and I think 3 hours is just too long to wait.
 
When I was driving yesterday, I was playing one of my compilation CD's. I have the song "Going Under" by Devo on there, and it remains one of my favorites. I'd say it's probably my favorite Devo song. I love the minor key, the heavy synthesized bass, and the way it starts sort of laid-back and then builds. And of course, it always makes me think of "Miami Vice." I know that I've put this short video up here at some point, but it was a while ago. It bears another watch, because this sequence in the car, with the song playing, remains one of THE coolest things I've ever seen on TV, probably because it was so fresh and new...and you know...coooool. Everyone loved Crockett and Tubbs, and for a while, it was must-see TV. That's one that I wouldn't mind eventually getting on DVD--wouldn't it be fun to go back and watch all those again?
 
Sometimes when I'm in the car--especially if we have the top down on Blacky--on a hot summer night, I'll look in the side mirror and see the taillights reflecting on the side of the car, and think of this clip.
 
Going Under
 

Left home with a friend of mine
Gone two years and I don't know why
Now I'm happy all the time
I can't think and I'm feelin' fine
Girl put me in a situation
Goin' through soft core mutation


Think you heard this all before
Now you're gonna hear some more
I know a place where dreams get crushed
Hopes are smashed but that ain't much
Voluntary experimentation
Goin' through soft core mutation


I'm going under
Down under where the lights are low
To a place where all the mutants go
Doing things I never did before
Inside out and coming back for more
Little girls with the four red lips
Never knew it could be like this
You put me in a situation
Goin' through soft core mutation

I'm going under


 

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on you're win!  We're back to sunny, warm summer type weather here in the Pacific Northwest...very typical for September.  I can remember wearing all my new skirts & sweaters to school the first few weeks and being terribly warm.  But like any high schooler, I had to show off the new duds.  Linda in WA  

Anonymous said...

CONGRADULATIONS... I too enjoy the captions...YOURS WAS GREAT..
Hope all goes well with the car for it's serice tomorrow.
..I have just come back from seeing my niece Beth she is going on a sponsor cycle ride from London to Paris next week....and I have to take her and the bike up to London on Tuesday so she will be ready for the start at6.30am.  on Wednesday, she has to cycle around 70 miles a day for four days...better her than me !!!  I think she is plain daft  mind you she is begnning to think she is as well.....Love Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

Congratulations again for the Magic Smoke win.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Oh lordy Beth! I just read your caption and laughed and laughed!
Connie

Anonymous said...

Congratulations of winning what's the caption!  I loved your caption!
Missie

Anonymous said...

congrats on winning the caption game!! when I saw your caption, I thought "that's the winner for sure!" it was cute and funny :)

betty

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I loved your caption; it was so cute and very funny. Thanks for the video; I was totally addicted to Miami Vice ad I love this song.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Congrats for winning the caption. I hope your wait is not too long tomorrow. Helen

Anonymous said...

They make you wait a long time when your car is in for service to justify the amount of money they will charge for the service.

Claudia

Anonymous said...

Good caption! I really laughed- Dannelle

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the caption contest!!!!  It was so cute!  I love rainy days!!!!

Hollie

Anonymous said...

I saw a current picture of Don Johnson in a mag recently. I predict he will be the next person Jenny Craig calls, & not a moment too soon. I guess I found the pic so funny because years ago he complained at different times about "chubby girls." Gee, Don, how about "chubby" old men?~Mary

Anonymous said...

woo hoo congratulations girl that is great
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Your parents trip sounded so nice. Its so great they enjoy traveling and visiting.
 
I sleep in socks, Hubby never understood that ! My feet are always cold !

Take Care
E.

Anonymous said...

I don't recall that song-but I loved it.I loved that show-the cool songs made it(well and the cool cars-oh n the hunks) Anyway-I used to drive my black Baretta at night and play In the Air Tonight,LOl-felt soo good....miss that car terribly
Congrats on the caption win -good sentence..
Hugs
connie

Anonymous said...

GREAT video!  I vaguely remember the song.
We got rain here yesterday too, and we really needed it, but it's still hot down here.  I feel cooler weather coming, though.
Lori

Anonymous said...

My feet are always like ice.  It's a fun weapon in the middle of the night when husband is snoring.  
Jamie

Anonymous said...

Dokey Okey, so we need to get a sound track for Blackie for "top-down" rides :o)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Beth!
hugs,nat

Anonymous said...

Loved Miami Vice!  There are some songs that I'd call driving songs...for me, drums...give me drums on any song, and punch the gas (well, not punch, but you know).  The louder the drums, my foot just tends to get heavier.  
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

I never did like "Miami Vice". Congrats on that win.....who is a Magic Smoke?
It is raining here too....hard...we have not had rain in ages! XO

Anonymous said...

Mazol Tov on your win :)
Never watched Miami Vice.
Laini

Anonymous said...

... ooh ... one of my ALL TIME favourite bands ... I love this song ...

...others that I like by them ... in no particular order ... (this includes all of their 'radio songs' like 'Whip It')

Jocko Homo, Mongoloid, Freedom of Choice, That's Good. Time Out For Fun (among the coolest videos!), the aforemtioned in your entry,Ton O' Luv, geez, there are really too many to list ..!

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your win!  Cool video.  You are the only other person I have ever heard say about toe socks.  I am always running around with my socks just covering my toes...I fold them front so my heel is out but my cold toes are toasty.  Hubby shakes his head...yeah, this is the bizarre behavior he lives with. ;)
Lisa