Thursday, September 4, 2008

Free stuff!

Ken and I watched the convention last night, and I won't say a whole lot about that. You probably all know how I feel. I'll just say that Gov. Palin did what she was hired to do, which was solidify the Republican conservative base around Sen. McCain's candidacy. Now that the gloves seem to have come off, I'll look forward to the vice-presidential debate between Gov. Palin and Sen. Biden. Should be interesting!
 
I'm also hearing on CNN this morning that Levi Johnston's MySpace page has been found, and the information found there is circulating. Take a look at this excerpt from The New York Post:
 

On his MySpace page, Johnston boasts, "I'm a f - - -in' redneck" who likes to snowboard and ride dirt bikes.


"But I live to play hockey. I like to go camping and hang out with the boys, do some fishing, shoot some s- - - and just f - - -in' chillin' I guess."

"Ya f - - - with me I'll kick [your] ass," he added.

He also claims to be "in a relationship," but states, "I don't want kids."
 
Whoops! I'm sure this fine example of young American manhood is a little surprised to be thrust into the limelight in such a sudden manner. Let's this be a lesson to all of us, especially to young adults applying for college or entering the job market. People can and do find things on the Web, so be careful what you put out there! The CEO of that company where you're trying to get a job might find that your pictures of keg stands while on Spring Break don't do much to inspire confidence in your professional abilities. Although he MIGHT enjoy the pictures of the wet T-shirt contest! But probably not in the way you want.
 
Speaking of applying for college, I foundthe coolest site and thought  I'd share it with you all.
 
 
Free--as in...they don't cost anything! And these aren't podunk or questionable places. Universities such as UMass, MIT, and yes, Notre Dame are offering all kinds of classes.
 
Did I mention that they're FREE?
 
This is fabulous. What an opportunity for anyone with the desire to learn. I know my buddy Jim completed his bachelor's degree using online classes. Whether you want to complete a degree, take a class that will help you in your job, or learn something just for the sake of learning (that's one of my favorite things!), there are plenty to choose from.
 
There are business courses and science courses, and language, history, and literature courses. I'm thinking that a beginning Italian class would be fun--for some reason I've always wanted to learn Italian!--but beginning Spanish would be more useful. You can also take lots of Chinese language courses, but that would be too much work! I'm also interested in some of the history and literature courses. I saw a Microbiology course, but I probably don't need that one! (It would probably be good review, though.)
 
I just had no idea there were so many places that offer free courses, and so many choices. I'll look forward to exploring the possibilities, and seeing if I want give it a try. Maybe some of you will want to explore it, too. Happy learning!

23 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am definately checking out the free education thing and I agree with you about the convention though I didn't watch it I also agree about the purity balls , I know some one who did this and he is now a grandpa and his daughter is shunned from the church it is sad the baby did nothing wrong .. I give my children rings it is our family crest , it is a indian thing , but it is not to keep them pure it is to show unity and to remind them they are not alone in their decission there is not cermony just a birthday gift . I am so behind on journals so you are only getting one comment today but I hope I hit all the highlights lol
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

That Levi Johnston's comments are now "out there"  just goes to show that the media loves to stir up the muddy waters.  LOL.. I always  tell my children they want to be careful what they have out on the internet, unfortunately I don't think that most teens believe they can be found that easily...but...  Look what happened to Miley!   Estela

Anonymous said...

FREE EDUCATION??  WOO HOO!!!!  I'm going to check that out SOON!!!  Sorry... but I was really enthralled by Palin's speech.... I think he did great picking her. = )

Joann

Anonymous said...

I'm checking out these free courses.  Wow, there are alot of them  I got stuck in some of the writing courses, neat!!  Thanks, Beth!  Hugs, Val xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/JoyInTheRain

Anonymous said...

I will explore the free courses...I would like to learn Italian.  I have no idea why but it sounds fun.
Ooops...Levi may want to edit his page. My inbox was flooded with information about her stance on ariel hunting of wolves & bears.  I was not happy with it.  I have more research to do.
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Reading your entries is such a treat. Well written, passionate, serious, funnier than all get out... sometimes all in one entry!
Kimberley
PS: I saw "Sir Charles" in Tahoe this summer (along with several other celebs). They were in town for a charity golf tournament. He is a BIG guy!

Anonymous said...


Good morning, another sunny day!
Thanks for the education information.
I am definitely going to bookmark the site
for future reference.  Not that I am going
to become a rocket scientist at my age,
but one is never too old to learn, or too
young!                                              
       The life lessons learned the hard
way can steer our course in life.  I hope our
teens will see that parenthood is best when
both are ready and willing for that responsibility.
     All the media spotlight has helped to
get to know the candidates and their personal
lives,  but ultimately,  I think the election will
be decided on the issues---
   THE ECONOMY, TAXES, IRAQ, FOREIGN AFFAIRS
   AND ENERGY.
That's what I am anxious to hear!       Pat

Anonymous said...

Levi may want to go and pull his My Space page...I'm sure Ms Palin would not be happy to read that, especially knowing it's out & around.  I think a lot of kids post stuff like that to show the world that they are "worldy" and tough. When actually, they never talk like that in person.  But who knows in this case.  If he's going to be a dad by the end of the year, he probably should clean up his act. I hate to hear parents use foul language in front of their little one.  I bookmarked the free classes page.  They say that some old dogs can learn new tricks !   Linda in Washington state

Anonymous said...

Congrats on Caption Game Win!! WOO_HOO
~c~

Anonymous said...

Wanted to congratulate you on winning this week's Caption Contest!!!
~S~

Anonymous said...

Congrats on being winner of the Caption Game!

Hugs, Rose

Roses Are Read Journal

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on winning the "What's The Caption" contest.

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

I second  easteeleco's comment, and parphrase what someone wisely said on my blog the other day: it's funny how many people in the media and politics are drawing attention to her family by stating they won't draw attention to it.
RE: his myspace page. I'm sure he *didn't* want a kid, oopsies aside. :) Point in fact a fellow manager and I laughingly toured an employee's myspace today (at her request). It was full of half-dressed shots and wiseas* sayings. The folly of youth - why have your bosses view that? What he says on a social networking site is as worthy of national attention as what I had for dinner yesterday.

Dan

Anonymous said...

Stopping by to say congratulations on winning the "What's the Caption? Wednesday" game.  You are hilarious!  

I missed Palin's speech last night.  Now I will have to go back in your blog, and find out how you feel about the presidential candidates and parties.  Just curious!    

Oh, awesome, free online courses!  I never knew there was such a thing.  I will definitely check them out.  Why wouldn't someone want to avail them to such a thing?

Okay, off I go, I need to check out your blog a little, than off to lunch!

Krissy :)
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink  

 

Anonymous said...

What a fine young man with such outstanding family values! Sounds as if he's ready to be a dad. Great caution about what you put on the Internet about yourself.

I'm going to check out the free online courses. I also want to learn Italian. Ever since I saw the film, Enchanted April, I've wanted to go to Tuscany, rent a villa, and have some mad romantic adventure in Italy.--Sheria

Anonymous said...

Johnston's page......that's terrible!

Free college classes.....who would have thought?  Very interesting!

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Hey, Italian is useful. Capite quello che dico?

I am sure Sarah & I wouldn't see eye to eye on many things(says woman with a Save the Polar Bears t-shirt), but I find it ironic that so many people who keep saying:  Her poor poor daughter is going to get so much unwanted publicity. Tsk. Double Tsk.    Keep on talking about the kid OVER & freakin OVER. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

won't comment on the convention either... but I had some interesting pictures emailed to me today... won't be long I'm sure at will be all over the TV if in fact they are legit.
d

Anonymous said...

I didnt watch the speach. I read about it. I also read about Former NY Mayor Rudy Giuliani's speach, I'm sure you didn't like what he had to say !!!!

I don't really see what her (Palin's) daughter has to do with the president election. People need to move on.

Take Care
E.

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for bringing those FREE online courses to our attention!  I didn't realize so many were out there, and at those universities, too!  I'll certainly be checking them out.
Lori

Anonymous said...

dear Beth,
interesting entry...
I think the most interesting thing was those free online classes that you provided a link for!
That is fascinating!
How can they finance that?Who grades the homework and tests?
interesting
Thanks!
hugs,nat

Anonymous said...

Bristol's babydaddy needs to set his MySpace to PRIVATE and QUICK.
XOXO

Anonymous said...

... Levi Johston comments sound like a regular teenage boy ... he looked and is way over his head ... doing what he is MADE TO rather than something he discovered he WANTS TO as far as being a part of the Palin family ...

... I don't think that there is anything to his normal guy comments ... he was never looking forward to being thrust in the NATIONAL limelight ... prolly didn't look forward to being in the light in Alaska either ...

... as to the Biden/Palin debates ... I look forward to them as well ... I really do think McCain is going to be overmatched ... Obama may be skinny, but he has a stiff spine ..!