Monday, September 8, 2008

Movie night

 
Today we got our shipment of movies from Amazon. Yippee!
 
"Alien 3," and we may be able to finish that franchise this week; all 3 of the "Evil Dead" movies, which I hope we can watch after the Alien series; and "National Treasure: Book of Secrets," which we watched tonight! (Just an aside...I think it's interesting how many movies and stories have a "mysterious book" at their heart. In the "Evil Dead" movies, it's the Necronomicon, and in the movie tonight, it is a rumored book that is passed down from president to president. Mysterious books are always cool! Wouldn't YOU like to find one?)
 
I liked "Book of Secrets" a lot. No, nothing really startling or unusual here. Nicolas Cage is estranged from his girlfriend. Will they get back together? Nicolas Cage's mom is introduced here (Helen Mirren is always good, no matter what she's in), and she has been divorced from Nic's father for many years. Will they rekindle their love? Will young Riley finally get the respect he craves (and it turns out, deserves)? Nic's mom is an expert in the Olmec language, and they enlist her help to find Cibola, the legendary city of gold. Nic's goal is to clear his ancestor's good name--a fellow historian (Ed Harris in a rare bad guy role) has accused his great-grandfather of being part of the plot to assassinate President Lincoln, and Nic knows it can't be true.
 
And what was on Page 47? I suspect we'll find out more in "National Treasure 3!"
 
I know, it's all pretty predictable. But what a fun ride! I can't help it--I'm a sucker for what I call "history mysteries." Throw in a code that must be solved, a treasure to be found, and ancient civilizations to be researched, and I am THERE! I loved the Mummy movies (new AND old) for the same reason--there's just enough history there to make it really fascinating for me. No, I know they're not historically accurate, but what's fun about these movies for me is that they make me want to read more about it. The Knights Templar, ancient Egypt, vampire legends (Or...are they FACT?! Heh heh heh....), I love it all, and if an author blends historical fact with his or her fiction, I'm hooked.
 
As a girl, I loved Sherlock Holmes and Nancy Drew (I still do, come to think of it!), archaeology and mythology, so it's no wonder I grew to love historical fiction and mysteries as an adult.
 
Maybe one day, I'll try and figure out why I love monster and horror movies so much. I think it's having a feeling of cheating death--I love roller coasters, too--but I'll have to think about it some more.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have been going to get back to you before but since comming more or less under attack  for writing what I think in my Journal I did not know if you would even care for me to  contact you.  Glad you got your shipment and hope you enjoy them.  By the way as much as I would like to talk politics that is partly why I am being sort of smeared so just stopped.  I  will miss Mort so much.  He has been such a good friend.  Since I lost a son to Complications of MS, I worry about him.   Lucille

Anonymous said...

I got conned into watching National Treasure (the most recent one - 3?) and I didn't think I was goingto like it, but I actually did.  Nicholas Cage plays that morbid humor pretty well.  hee hee...

~Amy  (wtc....I started to spell my own name wrong.  I swear I haven't been drinking....LMAO)

Anonymous said...

I like a good horror or monster movie but I am not fond of "slasher" movies where people are getting hacked up for no apparent reason.  I think the new movie with Nic Cage in it looks awesome too, of course he is good in anything so maybe I am bias.  It sounds like you will be enjoying your movies!
Lisa

Anonymous said...

My hubby will be wanting to come over & watch movies with you guys....  LOL  you all have the same kind of taste.  By the way ~ he knew exactly what you were talking about in one of your previous entries....LOL  (Monty Python)  He watched the short clip & just laughed & laughed......


Hugs,
Hollie

Anonymous said...

For me, the scarist movie is THE EXORCIST.   What makes a movie really scary is that in the human mind its content is with in the realm of possibilities.    THE EXCORCIST being about evil, the devil and posession is definatly in the realm of possibility for me.    

I guess also ghost stories are good.   Another one I liked was a foreign film is THE ORPHANAGE.    It was done by the producer who did PANS LABYRINTH.    These are both Spanish films and you have to read the subtitles.   If you like that genre I would recommend you get them to see.


Claudia

Anonymous said...

I loved National Treasure Book of Secrets!  I loved the first one too.
Have a good night.
Missie

Anonymous said...

Awesome movie, and who knows what secret lurk out there....
Especially tonight after watching "Fringe" :o)

Anonymous said...

Rick has watched the NTreasure movies and has not liked them much. I really like Cage though. XO

Anonymous said...

I liked the National treasure movies. I love Nicholos cage but I was dissapointed with him when he did Wicker man. I was very disturbed by that movie....hugs, Christine

Anonymous said...

Someone mentioned the Orphanage and Pans Labyrinyth... definite good movies. My daughter got me into the Evil Dead movies, I've never laughed so hard at Army of Darkness! Paul doesn't do the horror movie thing, so I get to rent them and scare myself senseless in a dark house with no one home , while he's away on gigs, which is just about every weekend. (Hugs)Indigo