Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Let me count the ways

 
Ohhhh, office supplies...I love thee so.
 
This morning I went to Staples to order some business cards for Ken's management group. The lady behind the counter was incredibly nice and just a wonderful help! When I got home, I realized that Thursday morning would be too late, and I really need to be able to pick them up tomorrow afternoon, so I called and talked to her. She said, "No problem!" Isn't it great when someone is that helpful?
 
After taking care of the business cards, I went over to look at stationery. I was SO tempted by a couple of designs of computer stationery, but I've got plenty here to use before I should get more. (I use it for computer letters as well as my rare handwritten ones.) Then I walked around the store, checked out MP3 player accessories (I want to get a car adapter), looked at voice recorders (I think I'll get a reasonably-priced one so that I can start recording my Dad's stories prior to transcribing them), and looked at some of the school supplies, etc.
 
I walked out of there without buying anything.
 
I'll take my applause now...thank you. Thank you very much.
 
I LOVE office supplies and office supply stores! I think my favorite things are all the styles of papers, and all the varieties of pens. A few years ago Ken and I bought our second timeshare (every other year); when we signed the papers, Lori handed us these pens that I just loved. I even made a note of what kind they were so I could order some when we got home. Thus began my love affair with the Zebra Jimnie Gel Rollerball (medium point, blue). For those of you who have received a letter from me, it was written with my Jimnie Gel. I only wish they were refillable, but other than that, it's my dream pen. <sigh> I luvs you, Jimnie!
 
I had always thought I was alone in my love for office supplies, but one day, I was talking with my Dad. I can't recall how the subject came up, but it was something about pens, I think, and how many you can accumulate. Dad said, "I always thought that if I hadn't made a career out the National Guard, I would have liked to run an office supply store. I just love 'em!" I was floored. Not only was I not alone, it must be a genetic trait! As I thought about it further, I realized it must be true. My sister Diana has always loved papers, doing embossing and making cards (although she doesn't have a lot of time for that now), and my sister Susie does scrapbooking, as well as making gorgeous greeting cards. You know those red Sears tool chests? Susie has a couple of them in which she keeps all of her office and scrapbooking supplies. So I come by it honestly.
 
How about you guys? Do YOU have the Office Supply Gene (coded as OS-alpha'-B-ic-9x11 by researchers)? What is your pen of choice?
 

 

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your not alone Beth...I too just love stationary shops...It is hard to come out with just whatever I have gone in for. !!  Love  Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

I love office supply stores too.  I can always find something in there that I could use.  You did good walking out without buying something.  I don't know if I could have been so good! LOL
Missie

Anonymous said...

I'm a Sanford Uni-Ball pen guy myself. Fine of course.

Anonymous said...

Oooo, I love that kinda stuff too.  The more the better!!!!  Congrats...on not buying anything...I just don't know if I could have been that strong...  LOL

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Guilty as charged.
Since I love to write, I love a good writing pen.
Laini

Anonymous said...

I like the Precise V5 extra fine rolling ball~black, by Pilot. When I ran med practices I flew through those with all the writing. I still keep one in about every room of my house now. I've had a few people tell me there are "better ones" out there now. Hmm. Oh, the tension between tradition & progress. I still like my V5. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I love the gel pens, but also like fine point ball point ones. Office supplies are one of my jobs and often when I tire of looking through the catalog I just go to the store and look.  It's fun to find something new that can be used for an old job.
'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

the best one I've had lately is a Sanford
uni-ball gel grip.  I have a habit I hate,
putting a pen that doesn't write back in the
pot instead of trashing it.  I like supplies
but usually get my sons.  

Anonymous said...

Hello Beth,
    I also love supplies and toys that organize!  My favorite pen depends on what I am writing and what I am writing on, but of course!  I am crazy with notes, journals, stationary, etc.  My favorite is my pen holder which is a yellow plastic oval shape with two inch plastic spikes that must be 40 yrs old and was just passed down and around until I claimed in from my daughters.  
    I'm glad for all your happiness and 'keep on writin'  Love, Doreen

Anonymous said...

Office supplies and home repair.  I could spend hours in either type of stores. Estela

Anonymous said...

I am old school, Cross, even though I seem to have lost the one that used to belong to my Dad. :o(

Anonymous said...

I love pens and papers, too!  I don't have a specific brand that I know of that I like....as long as it flows well, I'm happy.  The problem is.....I have to hide MY pens from everybody else.  LOL
and paper?  even notebook paper...  :)

~Amy

Anonymous said...

I rarely find the time to scrapebook but I have a TON of supplies for it because I just can't leave Hobby Lobby without some of the cute stuff they have.  I always think well when I do get around to it, I can use THIS.  ;)  I have over 20 different kinds of scissors.  SCISSORS, Beth.  I think I need an intervention of some sort.  ;)
Jamie

Anonymous said...

I like to steal pens...does that count? I like pens that have sayings on them. I love those cheapies that say "this pen was stolen from: " and you add the business. lol
i have a male coworker who has a very expensive pen that he carries in his shirt pocket 24 hrs a day. I have no idea what kind of pen it is though. XO

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I like office supply stores especially when I am not paying for the items but buying for our company.  Now that IS fun!!  I am more of a Home Depot or Tractor Supply type of gal at heart though.  I love buying animal stuff and supplies to make the critters lives better.  Neither office supplies nor building supplies are genetic for me though.  ;)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Oh  my, there is nothing quite as delicious as browsing around an office supply store. The feel of nice paper, leather bound note books, all of those pens. I must admit that you have caught me as I have on my list of things to do a visit to the office supply store. I was lusting and drooling over some pens I saw in the catalogue and I just have to go and try some out. My favourite is a Scheaffer medium blue ball point. Oh you did so well to walk out and not buy a thing. I don't think I could be that strong.

Anonymous said...

... it is funny how much stuff I used to accumulate that were office supplies ... at my old job, they gave me a box of post-it note for a birthday gift ..!  I always imagine turning one room in my place into a full fledged office, and treating it as such ...

... sometimes, I am such a geek ..!

Anonymous said...

gel! they have so many cool ones now
nat