Sunday, September 28, 2008

Mum's the word

We actually had a brief power outage last evening. We were in the third quarter of the Notre Dame game, at our computers, and boop, no power. I called right away, and Ken drove down the road to see if anyone else had lost power. He said it looked like everyone in the immediate area had no power. Ken was getting ready to go out and hook up the generator, and as we were talking about it, bingo! The power came back on! We had to laugh at the timing. So we missed part of the game, but Irish won. We also struggled with getting the TV and satellite back up and running. It lost its memory or something, and we had to reset the satellite. But Ken got it going in time to watch the Illinois game (Penn State beat them).
I did forget to mention in my apple butter entry that I was a very good girl when it came to talking politics! I didn't do it! You can all be very proud of me.
 
There were a couple of remarks made early on, and I just held my tongue. I think I exchanged a glance with Ken, but I kept my mouth shut.
 
The only time I was forced to say anything was when talking with my sister, Susie. We were talking a little bit about how interesting it's been, and she said that she talked to our sister Diana the previous night, and Di was getting ready to watch the debate. Susie said that she'd reached her saturation point by that time, so she only watched a few minutes of it here and there. I think a lot of people felt that way, after what ended up being a crazy week. I said yeah, we watched it, and she asked me, "So what did you think?" It was a pointblank question, and it was my sis. I couldn't dodge it. I laughed and said that I told Ken that I wasn't going to talk politics today! But then I just said, "I think Obama did very well." She just nodded, and that was the end of discussion. From what I've heard from my Mom, Susie doesn't care for Obama, so now she pretty much knows where I stand! 
 
I really didn't want to discuss such things yesterday, no matter how passionate and interested I am. It was a day of fun and fellowship with my family, and that was the important thing. While a lively discussion is always fun, especially among my family, that wasn't the time or place for it. If people had overheard our discussion, someone would have chimed in with their thoughts, then more people would have heard, and next thing you know, it would be a free-for-all. A melee. A donnybrook! Ha ha! Nah, we're not a violent bunch, but the words would have been flying, that's for sure!
 
So you can call me the Peacemaker, at least you could yesterday, because I just didn't go there. I think it was a wise choice.

 

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good girl! I am proud of you :)
Laini

Anonymous said...

Hi Beth, I did notice that you seemed to have kept mum at the family get together...good on you !!    The peace maker ?  that reminded me of the biggest compliment I think I ever heard and that was about my Mother. I was in a new hairdressers one day (in my old village in scotland where everyone knew everyone else) and someone asked who I was.. and I said Sybil Wilson...Oh aye she said your Sybil's wee lassie   Aye(Yes) I kent(knew) Sybil  she wiz always called the peacemaker, even at school she kept the peace.... I have remembered that quote all my life and only wish someone could say that about me !!   Love Sybil xx

http://journals.aol.co.uk/sybilsybil45/villagelife/

Anonymous said...

... as far as the politics go, it is very difficult to keep a civil tongue ... as far as ND goes, beating Michigan really gave them a lot of confidence, especially since they got pounded by State ... I can now see them getting their 8 wins and going bowling ..!

Anonymous said...

So well done for holding your tongue at the apple fest!!  You do know the secret to getting your power restored is start to hook up the generator...it will always come on!!!  ;)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

Only took an hour to get everything back working, but it seemed a lot longer :o)

Illinios looked good early, but could not get offense going in second half.  Still fun to watch, and the ND game as a relief after the loss last week to Michigan State.

Anonymous said...

You did good!!!  We watched the debate...I was so annoyed by McCain...the way he wouldn't look at Obama & all the smiling....  You can tell that he has his own personal agenda with Obama......

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Peacemaking among family is a good thing. Besides, most of the time, you can'tchange their point of view so it really is a waste of your energy. You can always get into debates with strangers. :)
--Sheria

Anonymous said...

I loved your entry on apple butter and being with your family; I don't have a lot of family around me so it was nice to see others getting together and having a great time with theirs!

so proud of you for holding your tongue! we had to sort of do the same thing today for my father-in-law's birthday lunch; although everyone pretty much agrees on the same politicians, his opinions can get a bit strong about things so it was mutually decided and agreed upon between hubby and brother that politics would not be discussed at lunch; which was funny because my hubby told me about it a few days before saying "we won't talk politics on Sunday" which I understood what he meant; my son heard him to say "we don't talk politics on Sundays" so when my husband reminded him we weren't going to talk politics at lunch, he said "yeah, I know, its Sunday and we don't talk politics on Sundays", thinking all Sundays were a no politic talking day; it was funny; you had to be there :)

enjoy the week ahead!

betty

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you did so well on the conversation end of the family get together... Peace makers are a precious commodity for sure.   I'll be checking out the apple butter entry now.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Glad you had a good time, surrounded by family
and friends.  that makes the best memories.  
Have a great week.  Enjoy autumn.   Pat

Anonymous said...

Good for you!  I read your apple butter entry first and it crossed my mind how the nice, calm family time might have gotten a little heated if anyone started in on politics.  Being the peacemaker was the right road to take.  Sounds like your sister was taking the same path.

Donna

Anonymous said...

my dad, my mom, my brother are all Republicans. LMAO!!   Then there is me. :)

I hate power outages! Glad yours was short lived. XO

Anonymous said...

Beth,

Well done! I have always been vocal about many issues, but it can be like talking to a wall sometimes! Believe me I know it's hard to flip the switch off, but no worries for you can always find your light. There's one sure way to keep qiuet, just do what I do. Keep shoveling food the OLE gully and if that don't work just fake an illness and leave! Ha Ha

Gotta Jam!

Wes

Anonymous said...

We hold our tongues about politics when around family also.  You made a wise choice. LOL
Missie

Anonymous said...

You know your family well, and know which topics are really off limits, especially when you're so passionate about something, as are they!  We don't talk politics either, but my mom...is a VERY passionate democrat...but this year...she's made the comment several times, "I guess I'll HAVE to vote for Obame".  Oy vey...
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

when it comes to my family, I avoid all talk about religion. It ends up a big fight .(I am talking about my mother and father and other members of my family) I talk about religion to my children all the time..... hugs, Christine