Saturday, January 19, 2008

By Grabthar's hammer....

It is frickin' cold out there.

I went out to fill the bird feeders. I was going to do it anyway, but if I had any doubts, Ken shamed me into it by saying, "I did MY part. I got the paper and the mail." When I see the birds sitting on a feeder and picking at emptiness, I get to feeling guilty. I was out there maybe 10 minutes, and I was very chilled by the time I came in. The wind is picking up, it's snowing a little bit, and it's just generally frigid. I think we made it up to 14°, but at 4 PM, it started dropping, and it's already down to 12.3°.

Based on the constant raiding of the seed feeder by our squirrely little rodent friends, I fashioned a squirrel baffle out of some rather high-tech materials. I modified the plastic plate with a utility knife, and Kengineer agreed that in theory, it would work. After hanging the baffle on the feeder, we both agreed that it needed further modification, and armed with a kitchen knife, Kengineer made the necessary changes. I give our squirrels a lot of credit, because they seem to be able to figure out a solution to every barrier we come up with. We'll see how our latest effort works. It looks very sophisticated, by the way...it is a translucent green plastic plate and blends in beautifully with the surroundings. :D

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stupid Birds :o)

My favorite teasing comment.  But I did brave the elements for them.

Anonymous said...

oh I know I thought I was getting a good work out and once my legs thawed I realiazed I got a terrific work out lol
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Sherry, I suppose the numbness of frozen muscles would make you think it wasn't hurting so much! Good job for getting out, despite the cold temps. (Not sure of the temps where you're at, but it sounds like it's cold!) Stay strong!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I picked up our bird feeders at Lowe's. The have a grate on the outside of them that slides down and prevents squirrels from raiding. It works on weight ratio's. Birds don't weigh even close to the weight squirrels do. I buy a wild bird feed, that not all the birds love and tend to toss some away on the ground. The squirrels feed on that and the crab apples that fall from the tree. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

I've tried those, too, Indigo. Believe me...our squirrels and raccoons are VERY persistent. They chewed through the plastic on those feeders and chowed down on all the seed! Our feeder hooks are all bent, we have hooks hanging down from them, we have slinkys on the poles...it looks pretty funny.

I give the squirrels a lot of credit for being so clever. But they can sure eat the seed...it's hard to be mad at them, though, when they sit on the deck and look all cute, with a little bib of snow stuck on their nose. Ha!

Beth

Anonymous said...

It was 14 this morning when I went out.  Brrrr.
I saw some cold looking birdies!
Traci

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's pretty cold for where you're at, Traci! Poor birds--they fluff their feathers out, so they look all fat and puffy. Somehow they manage to survive!

Beth