Tuesday, January 1, 2008

New Year's resolutions, good or bad

Dr. Will wrote about good New Year's resolutions versus bad New Year's resolutions. I've never been a New Year's resolution kind of gal, because it's always seemed to me that it was merely setting yourself up for failure. I've recently managed to do really good things like quitting smoking and trying to stave off osteoporosis with higher calcium in my diet. To me, those are things that you can do throughout the year, without waiting till New Year's to make a bogus resolution. Dr. Will had a great point, though, about setting broader goals for the coming year, goals that involve looking at the big picture rather than focusing on the minutiae. When you look at it that way, I make these resolutions for the coming year:

1. I will always do my best to take the high road, no matter how tempting it is to do otherwise.

2. I will always do my best to treat others well and with respect, unless they prove that they don't deserve such treatment.

3. I will always do my best to have a positive attitude.

4. I will always do my best to realize our mutual goal of planning for the future and for our retirement, which includes being prudent in spending in all aspects of our lives.

5. I will always do my best at work, remembering that there is a patient behind every culture.

As far as the other, less serious resolutions, I now (note that I did not use the word "hereby," thanks to Dr. Will) make these resolutions:

1. I will floss every day. Or at least I will resolve to floss every day.

2. I will stop using the word "honestly." I think I might stop using "truly," also, but there might still be room for that one. I might start using the German "ja wohl" for emphasis, but then again, I might not.

3. I will stop using the "C" word, unless it is warranted. Sometimes it IS warranted, but I will use it only with those who understand, and I will never use it on my blog.

4. I will stop using the other "C" word, which is "crap." It's not a pleasant word, and there are other ways of expressing disdain.

5. I will allow all comments on my blog, unless they are profane or vile. For the comments that survive, I will reserve the right to reply to them or delete them at my discretion. While most folks who leave comments are positive and supportive, I've found that comments usually speak very clearly for themselves, as well as for their author. They're worth leaving up here for all to see. This blog has been up for well over a year, and I believe I've deleted only one comment--I won't do that anymore (unless for the reasons above), because it can be some good stuff. Have at it, although keep in mind that as RaQ sez, any comment can die at any time.

Here's to a prosperous and happy 2008!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As for the second "C" word, remember that if it is not Scottish, it is "crap".  I do not agree with that resolution.  As for the others, you go GeekGirl.

Anonymous said...

These are very good.....
Wish you the best success in 2008

Anonymous said...

Uhm, taking the high road only one hour from your husband's children at Christmas.....now that's a real high road, especially when they really wanted to see you.  Well done.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and by the way, just a little advice....using the "C" word, no matter how you sugar coat it, no matter what you claim it to be, is never an attractive trait.  Just think on it, it's vulgar.  But oh well. This just came to mind as well, I'm so threatened by a "dying" comment.....have at it.  You'll read it, and that's all that matters.