Monday, January 28, 2008

Dis, dat, and t'other

In light of my previous entry,  here's a neat picture I found...here's to not just my Dad, but all members of his generation. They are truly the best of the best.

On this eve of the Florida primary (good luck to fellow blogger Jimmy!), I haven't written yet about the South Carolina Democratic primary. No big surprise: Obama won big (some have called it a landslide) as the polls had indicated, but polls can be misleading, as we saw in New Hampshire. He got an endorsement from Caroline Kennedy and Senator Ted Kennedy. I'm not sure whether the latter is a plus or a minus for Obama, but the Kennedy name certainly still carries a lot of clout and mystique in the U.S.

When Dad and I talked about some of this, he said he's pretty much disgusted with the whole lot of 'em already. I think quite a few people feel that way, and sometimes so do I. However, I'm also excited about the fact that so many people are talking about it! I'm sensing a high level of engagement here, and that is never a bad thing when it comes to picking our elected officials. I'm getting the feeling that people are actively interested in choosing someone who will make a difference for our country and its place in the world. I think that's something to be excited about. I just hope everyone can keep it civil, and stick to the issues. <snort> What am I talking about? This is politics! The optimist in me says, "Let's focus on the issues." The realist in me says, "It will be politics as usual." <sigh> If nothing else, I think Obama has infused some life into this election, and a feeling among some that maybe things CAN change. It certainly is interesting, isn't it? As the Chinese curse says, "May you live in interesting times!" It seems that I've gotten a few readers from outside the U.S. visiting this journal, and I'd be interested in hearing your take on all this.

Earlier this afternoon, I went outside to take out the recycling. I put on my parka and gloves, since in the past few days it's been, you know...really really cold. Was it Saturday morning that it was barely above zero, and I hunkered down in my parka until my car warmed up a little? Yes, I believe it was. So I get out there and get to carrying all the stuff out to the road, and I actually got HOT. When I came inside and looked at the thermometer, it was 49°! They're saying we could get thunderstorms tomorrow. Almost February, and we've got a chance of thunderstorms. This is just insane weather this year! I hope what happened last year doesn't happen this year. We had an unbelievably warm spell in early March, and the trees started budding. Then it turned much colder, and many of the buds were lost. My favorite tree at our place, a Japanese flowering cherry, didn't blossom at all. I was disappointed, because it has these gorgeous, double, pink flowers.

I went out a little later to fill one of the suet feeders, and wore my barn coat instead of my parka. It felt balmy outside!

Hey, I just looked outside, and it's raining. Bad, because I was going to go out and get the mail, but good, because it will fill the bird bath!

                                                          

It was fun to watch Tiger win yesterday. With that victory, he tied Arnold Palmer for PGA wins. The guy still has many years of playing ahead of him, and he just seems to be getting better. Ken and I have often talked about how lucky we are to watch someone like that play--he will undoubtedly be remembered as one of the greatest athletes in history, and we get to watch him on TV fairly often! We've even talked about going to one of courses on the PGA tour and watching him play. Ken got to see him several years ago in the Chicago area. It would be fun to see Tiger for real!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not only did the Kennedy's endorse Barack, but so did Toni Morrison.  Toni is one of the first to coin the phrase that Bill Clinton was the first black president.  So to have her now endorse Barack is huge in my mind.  

As always, thank you to the greatest generation.  :o)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I didn't hear about the Toni Morrison endorsement until you told me, and then we heard it on the news tonight. I think Bill's campaigning for Hillary is backfiring a bit on them...I'm picking up on a very strong vibe of people not wanting "co-presidents," and that's how a lot of folks are seeing this.

Beth

Anonymous said...

part of the reason so many are talking about politics is because of the man in the White House now......what he has done to this country is frightening, if you ask me. We need a change. But it is hard for me to believe if we pick any of those running now that there will be any REAL change in the WH.
That tree is gorgeous. I have two pretty trees on my property too. They only bloom together for one week each year.
hugs, lisa

Anonymous said...

It IS a rough time for everyone, Lisa. But I hope people will really work on deciding who they want to vote for. It's a great opportunity to make our voices heard!

Beth

Anonymous said...

Many, many thanks to those who served in WWII and for all who guard our freedom.  A debt we can truly never repay.  It surprised me that Hillary apparently agreed for her husband to campaign for her.  I, along with political analysts at the time she went to NY & was elected to the Senate, believed for her to have a chance at the Presidency she would have to distance herself from him.  Guess she's counting on Americans' very short memory.

It was unseasonably warm here today, 60 degrees.  Beautiful photo of the tree!

Dirk

Anonymous said...

I agree with you Dirk, on both counts.

Beth