Wednesday, January 23, 2008

One last sad thing

This sort of sadness is out of character for me, but I'm going to go with it, and then be done.

There was a story on NBC Nightly News tonight about the Holocaust. It seems that there were over a million more Jews in the Ukraine that were murdered during Nazi occupation, but that they somehow, someway, mysteriously...just disappeared. They weren't counted in the 6 million dead that have been previously reported. Do you see what I'm saying? This is over one million more Jews that were murdered during that dark period in human history.

As if 6 million weren't bad enough.

I am not dealing well with this. Perhaps it's because I was just thinking about our trip to Washington, D.C. with my family. One of the places we visited was the Holocaust Museum, and I can't even begin to convey how disturbing and how awful it is. But I also think everyone needs to see it. We were there for the WWII Memorial dedication, and when we visited the Holocaust Museum, the lady who took us up in the elevator saw my Dad's WWII Veteran cap and started crying. She said, "I'm sorry...I just can't see one of you without crying...thank you."

.....................................................

<getting a grip>

And there are still those who deny it, say that it never happened. Imbeciles.

 

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The museum was very solemn.  I definitely would recommend it.  All the memorials were great.  I really enjoyed the National Archives.  

Anonymous said...

good word...imbeciles.

so many of my children's generation are SO far removed from any emotion from the Holocaust. It is the type of thing that you do not even want to think about...now it is coming out that a million more humans died and no one knew?

i can barely comprehend it.

thank you for your informative entries.
be safe,

lisa

Anonymous said...

Lisa, that's why I think it should be mandatory that everyone visit the Holocaust Museum. You can't go there and not experience the horror of the entire thing. It's very disturbing, but very important.

I loved the National Archives, too, Bucko! (That's my hubby Ken, for those of you that don't know.) I'll have to find that entry where I wrote about our little adventure there, and link to it. :)

Beth

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Bucko's back ! On a solemn note it was a traversity of horror marked in histories pages. I've always followed stories on the events before, during and after the Holocaust. I find it hard to view some of the historical pictures and testaments of the events of that horrifying experience. I remember reading Anne Frank's Diary in school, I haven't read it in years. Perhaps it's time to bring it back out and dust off the pages. Shindlers List is among one of the movies I would recommend watching. Doc's a big History buff so of course we both watch the History channel.

Anonymous said...

Agreed, Indigo. It really is hard to comprehend that something like that could happen, but it did, and I believe it's our duty as human beings to never forget it. It could be the first time in our history that such inhumanity was recorded in text, pictures, and video. It's all there. It's horrible to watch, but the record is undeniable (except for a deluded few).

{{Beth}}

Anonymous said...

Indigo, we also like Schindler's List. It was one of the first DVD's we bought when we started our VHS to DVD transistion.  We have not watched it yet, but in the not to distant future. :o)