Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Tuesday morning News Roundup

We did indeed have thunderstorms last night! It was pretty crazy for a while, with lots of lightning and thunder. Poor Sheeba was slinking around here (he's terribly afraid of thunder), and finally vamoosed to the basement. It's still raining, but I'm not hearing any thunder, so Sheeba came upstairs when I got up. I just had an email from Ken at work, and he said we had a tree down across the driveway. I'll have to check it out when I go out to get the mail today.

                                                                      

Wow, the Buckeyes got whupped. We conked out sometime in the third quarter, and while LSU was leading 24-10, it was still possible for OSU to come back. When LSU went up 31-10 in the 4th, though, that was pretty much it for OSU. Ken decided to cheer for the Buckeyes because they're a Big 10 team, but I was pulling for the Tigers. Congrats to LSU for winning the National Championship. I think Louisiana needed a lift.

The fondue turned out great! Although we ate so much veggies and ham that we didn't have room for the dessert (chocolate-dipped fruit). Perhaps tonight, but I'm making a fairly big dinner tonight, a somewhat ambitious one. I'm making Braciole (pronounced Bruh-zhol), Italian beef roulades. Carmela Soprano often speaks of Braciole, and I came across a crockpot recipe, so I'm going to give it a try. Call me Carm! I'm always happy when I get to use my meat mallet! I'll need to get it going this morning, because it takes 7-10 hours.

The New Hampshire polls are open, but a couple of towns opened their polls at midnight. Apparently towns with less than 100 residents can open their polls then, and close them when all the eligible voters have had a chance to vote. One of the towns is Dixville Notch. Is that a great name, or what? The early leaders are Obama and McCain, but that's with very few votes cast.

I'm mostly over my cold, just a bit of stuffiness and coughing still, but nothing major. Ken started feeling like he was getting it yesterday morning, but he took cold medicine, and some Advil at work, and by the end of the day, he felt good! It is unbelievable how much quitting smoking has made a difference. I don't mean to harp on it, I'm just amazed. I've always said that I would never be a preachy ex-smoker, and I don't intend to be that way. All I can say is what a huge difference it's made in my health, and in Ken's. I didn't realize how much I was damaging myself until I stopped and started feeling healthier. I also realize now how I was damaging the people around me. I think of the times we sat here playing board games with the kids, both of us smoking. I can't begin to tell you how terrible I feel about that. Well, nothing to do but go forward from here, and know that we were strong enough to make a good decision and quit for good.

No comments: