Sunday, January 27, 2008

Grrr, Baby, very grrrr!

Ken and I have on the Buick Invitational while he does some work, and I just got done reading the Sunday paper. This is Tiger Woods' first tournament of the year, and he is crazy good. How amazing to come out of the off season and play this well...we just watched Tiger hit out of a wet rough and get within a couple of feet of the hole. Unbelievable. After watching that shot, I realized that I had been standing there with my mouth hanging open for about 10 seconds! He is just so good, and such a competitor. He's amazing to watch.

I'm looking forward to practicing my golf swing this summer. This is the year I will really work on it and practice, and we'll actually play a round! I never thought in a million years that I would like golf, but Ken loves it and has gotten me into it. I was hooked the first time I went with Ken to a golf course. It happened to be in Florida, when we were staying at our timeshare in New Smyrna Beach. I got to drive the cart--always fun!--but I just loved the peace and quiet of the course. We saw birds like blue herons and hawks, and the course was so pretty, with trails going through stands of palmettos and lush forested areas. I thought, "Yeah...I could do this!" I'm sure I'll be terrible at it, but I'm looking forward to trying it, and trying to get better at it!

Of course, I also like to wear my golf gear, like a skort with a polo shirt, and either a baseball cap or a straw hat. I remember telling my friend Jim about how I "looked all golfy and junk." Ha!

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The other deciding factor was that that first time, I was playing with an elderly couple, with the woman being shorter than five feet and easily in her eighties.  She did not hit it far, but always in the middle.  Besides, it has a stupid "birdie" in the game. :o)

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are feeling better
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

I took some lessons last year, and got a brand new set of golf clubs because Glen and I were going to play dang it!  We've been to the driving range a few times, but I'm not very good (like swing and miss the ball entirely!)...and I just get frustrated.  Glen is good and it makes me sad that he won't golf without me, but he just won't.  There's a par 3 course near our house, but I don't even think I could do that.  Maybe MORE golf lessons are in order :)
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

Hey Myra! I think the important thing is to just get out there. Believe me, I know I won't be very good at it (you're not the only one to swing and miss!), but I want to try to approach it as something fun to do together. If I'm really, really bad at it, I may change my tune!

Beth

Anonymous said...

For the life of me I can't imagine running around chasing a little ball.....ummm but I'll gladly cheer you on from the golf cart. Just make sure to tell what not to accidently hit so the cart doesn't roll forward, take off on it's own kind of thing. I'm wonderous for those kind of accidents.(Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

So far I've managed to keep the cart out of the ponds, Indigo! <grin>

Beth

Anonymous said...

i have a friend who is totally obsessed with Tiger. I hope you do get to play lots of golf.....i cant wait to hear about the birds and the fun you two have.

lisa

Anonymous said...

I spent a weekend at Torrey Pines where the Buick open is so i have been watching because i have been there..hubby is a huge golfer so it was a dream for him to play at Torrey pines...
hugs
Lyn
http://journals.aol.com/ukgal36/Britsblog/

Anonymous said...

Hi Lyn! It looks like a beautiful course, that's for sure. Ken has never played Torrey Pines, but he's played Spyglass, which is up by Pebble Beach, and also a PGA course. I'll be lucky if I can handle our little Par 3 course down the road!

Lisa, I think it will be a fun thing for Ken and I to do together when we retire. Get in a little exercise, and some nature observation, all at the same time!

Beth