Saturday, January 5, 2008

My brain hurts

Not so much my brain as my head.  I don't feel awful, but getting up at 5 AM when you have a cold just isn't fun. Fortunately, our workload wasn't heavy, and I got out on time. I stopped by the store on my way home to pick up a few things, including some cold medicine (Alka Seltzer Plus is my particular poison). I did manage to go all day without taking any medicine, so that was good. I just keep telling myself, "One more day, then you have two days off...." Some might wonder why I don't call in sick. Well, for one thing, I'm not THAT bad off--it's just a cold virus. Also, our staff is already lowered on the weekends, and the joke around the lab is that you don't call in sick on the weekend--you call in dead. People do occasionally call in, but it's an unspoken agreement among all of us that we will do our best to be there for each other on the weekends. So I can suck it up and be there when I'm not 100%.

When I stopped at the store, I saw something interesting. When I was loading my stuff into my trunk, there was a car right behind me, waiting for a parking spot right up by the store. The person stuck behind this lady honked once, but the first lady didn't move. By the time I finished and returned my cart, there were 3 cars lined up behind this broad. I mouthed to her "You have three cars behind you." She just held her hands up, like "Oh well, what can you do?" I'll tell you what you can do. Stop being so rude by holding up people behind you, move your car and find another parking spot, and walk a few extra feet--THAT'S what you can do! 

I really don't understand why people are so rude, not to mention lazy. How hard is it to walk from a more distant parking space? And we wonder why we have a problem in our country with obesity. According to The Obesity Society's Obesity Statistics, July 8, 2007, American obesity rates lead the world with 64% of adults being overweight and almost a quarter being obese.

But that's about as fired up as I can get today. I think I'll take a nap.

 

No comments: