Saturday, January 26, 2008

A lovely turn of phrase

I had an email from someone who told me a little about himself and his family, and then wrote something remarkable: "Tell me about you."

That's a very powerful phrase. How often do we go about our daily lives without ever really connecting with the people we meet along the way? Do we ask people how they are doing? More importantly, when we do ask the question, do we wait to hear the answer, and do we care about the reply? That short sentence in this particular email made me think about my level of engagement in the lives of those around me, and made me resolve to pay closer attention to those I deal with every day. My email was from someone who I have never met, but their simple act of asking about who I am made me believe that they care. It's a special talent to make someone feel that you care, and it's something worth cultivating within ourselves. Never forget that our words and actions have an impact on others, and a simple remark like, "Tell me about you" can show people that you are a caring person, and can make a difference in someone's life.

A couple of pictures from the deck:

And for a couple of great pictures of our wild turkeys, go to Ken's blog. A couple of weeks ago, I saw 50+ turkeys in our back yard, and Ken saw them again today--one even flew up onto the deck railing, and I haven't seen them do that for a while!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cute squirrel.  That was an interesting e-mail.  I wonder what I would say.  I think when most ask how someone is doing, they really don't want anything more than fine, how are you?  It is nice when someone genuinely wants to know how things are with me.  BTW:  I see Bucko is your husband.  I saw his comment in Indigo's journal.  Love his SN.  HUGS Chris

Anonymous said...

Exactly, Chris. You can ask the easy question and expect the simple answer, but knowing that someone really wants to hear how you're doing is a pretty nice feeling, isn't it?

Hugs, Beth

Anonymous said...

Beth, cute squirrel, I never know how to answer that question but I hope that as people read my journal they will discover who I am, Hugs Lisa

Anonymous said...

Love the squirrells.  Ours were chasing each other at mach speed up high in the trees today.  
I kinda get miffed when others don't connect with me.  I'm a connecting kind of person.
traci

Anonymous said...

I can never answer that question when I first get to know someone.....I think the more they read about me from my journal, gives them who I am in bits and pieces. I've had friends I've had for years that still say they haven't gotten the full picture of who I am....I think it's because I spent the majority of my life not wanting people to see the ugly that was an every day thing......Now? It's getting easier and easier. I feel at home with you and Ken so I'm probally sharing more with the two of you. It is nice having someone want the more indepth understanding of who you are....

Love the squirrels and Ken's pictures of the Turkeys. That was totally wild there was so many of them. I see you've met Chris! She's a sweetheart and a great friend of mine. She has been there for me since the beginning of my own journal. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

i am a people person and LOVE to learn about others..its me talking about myself that is hard to do and i always listen to what they say.....everyone has a story.....so many in life are so self absorbed or too busy to really get to learn about others. That squirrel is HUGE!

lisa

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all the comments about this. Everyone has different ways of relating and different comfort levels with people. Sounds like we have all kinds here!

I found it interesting to be asked that question. I was a little surprised and actually kind of touched. It made me think about how important it is to try to avoid being disconnected from humanity.

I enjoyed all of your comments!

And as for the squirrels, they do look fat and happy around here!

{{Beth}}