Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A favorite character

Along with Repairman Jack, one of my favorite fictional characters is FBI agent Aloysius Pendergast, a creation of Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child. One of my Christmas presents from Ken was the latest Pendergast book, The Wheel Of Darkness. I started it yesterday morning, and by the time we got home, I was halfway through it. Pendergast visits a Tibetan monastery with his ward, Constance Greene, and the monks ask him to recover a mysterious and deadly object that was stolen from them. The trail leads them to the maiden voyage of the largest ocean liner in the world, and now they're trying to figure out the culprit. One of my favorite moments (so far) was when Pendergast foiled a gang of card counters at the blackjack tables onboard. It made me laugh out loud!

His character appeals to me because he is very educated and sophisticated, and very low-key...but deadly when necessary. He also seems to have a wicked sense of humor. A sort of American James Bond, if you will, although not a womanizer. If you get a chance, I recommend the series!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It sounds very good. Thank you for sharing.

Anonymous said...

If you read it, Hadon, you'll have to let me know what you think. Thanks for commenting!

Beth