Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Now I'm cookin' with gas!

Whew. I finally got the Braciole put together and cooking. That took a lot longer than I expected! It smells all oniony and garlicky in here now, and I think it should end up pretty good (I hope, anyway).

I've got CNN on, watching primary results. They recently had a news story about our crazy weather, and it's actually pretty bad. In some areas they are evacuating people, and I can't remember where it was, but they said one town had houses underwater. (Logansport, maybe?) I've been making jokes about building an ark, but turns out it really is quite bad. My thoughts are with my fellow Hoosiers, and those affected by bad weather elsewhere (Wisconsin, Arkansas, Missouri, etc.).

Here are a couple of pictures of our back pond.

 

I don't know if I can put it in perspective, but the pond is usually half this size. It has overflowed and combined with the smaller pond to the right, and the water has even overflowed to behind where the pond is. I know we have wetlands here at Nutwood, but this is ridiculous! We even have a few spots of standing water in the yard, which hasn't happened since Ken put in a couple of drains and underground pipe going to the pond. I shudder to think of what we'd be dealing with if this were all snow!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOUR BACK POND APPEARS TO BE A SWAMP INSTEAD OF A POND

Anonymous said...

Tell me about it! Like I said...wetlands are one thing, but this is crazy. Thanks for reading!

Beth

Anonymous said...

yike!  That's a lot of water.  We have a creek at the back of our property but it was have to be catastrophic to flood to the point we could see it from the house!
Traci