Sunday, January 20, 2008

Color me blue

Ken has left for his business trip to Dallas. He'll be back Wednesday evening, and I know the time will go by quickly, but I'll miss him! I know Sheeba will keep me company, and I'm always capable of finding things to keep me occupied. Never a problem!

Well, Clinton and Romney won Nevada, and McCain won South Carolina. I was reading an article in the paper about it this morning, and I think everyone is focusing on who wins the popular vote. What really matters is the number of delegates. Clinton has 210, Obama has 123, and Edwards has 52. (Kucinich has one...I'm not sure why I even mentioned it, other than it's kind of amusing.) On the Republican side, Romney has 72, McCain is next with 38, and Huckabee is close behind with 29. The rest of the Republicans are in the single digits. Giuliani is counting on winning big in Florida, and hoping that all of their delegates will keep him in the race. I'm not so sure...his poll numbers have been dropping, and I don't know if he can recover.

When we were in New York last March, we asked our friend RaQuel about it. We had written back and forth about it a bit...she does not like Rudy, but I had recently read his book and was fairly impressed. I wanted to know more about why she feels the way she does--apparently a lot of other New Yorkers feel the same way. She said that after 9/11, he was exactly what they and the city needed. But in day-to-day operations of running the city, he was an arrogant SOB...or words to that effect! As I read more about him, I'm finding out what she means. I respect the guy in many ways, and for a while there, he really was "America's mayor," but I think he's a little heavy-handed, and not capable of the diplomacy that we need on the world stage at this time. Just my opinion, of course! Everyone needs to decide for themselves.

For the record, his divorces or "lack of morality" have little to nothing to do with it for me. While some of what I've read about seems to be a little shady, I've been divorced, Ken has been divorced, and we both know people who have been divorced several times. It doesn't automatically mean that the person has bad moral character or is a bad person. Perhaps a poor decision-maker, but a bad person? Not necessarily.

Hey...are you readyfor some FOOTBALL?! And will someone explain to me why they stopped using Hank Williams, Jr.'s intro? First they went to Pink, which was awful, and now it's Faith Hill--better, but hey, if it isn't broken, don't fix it. I miss hearing Hank's intro! Anyhoo, I started watching something about "countdown to the playoffs" at 1 PM, but had to stop, because I didn't feel like watching the Chargers beat my Colts all over again. Now the pregame show is on, and there's plenty of football talk. My main concern is whether or not Tony Dungy will retire. NOOOOOO! Don't go, Tony....

                                     

Since Ken won't be here for dinner tonight, I'll be making Eggplant Parmigiana, as I've mentioned in previous entries. I wrote to Cousin Shane that I should just start calling it Ken-is-on-a-trip Eggplant Parmigiana! (I may have written that here, too--sorry if I'm repeating myself!) I don't have a special recipe. I just use the one in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, but I change it up a bit. I used a jar of spaghetti sauce instead of making my own. (It's lots easier, and tastes good.) I also like using some fresh mozzarella in there, and there's a ball of it sitting in the fridge. Before I start that, I want to get the sheets changed and washed, and do a few other things around here. One thing I definitely need to do is get the humidifier going on the bedroom--with this cold weather, it's getting very dry in here!

Oh, speaking of forgetting if I'm repeating myself...have you ever had a moment where you just could not think of a word or phrase, no matter how hard you tried? Here's a conversation that took place last night, as we were going to bed....

Beth: Brrr. I actually thought about putting the heater thingie in the bed for a few minutes before we came to bed!

Ken: Hmm?

B: The heater thingie...what's it called? I really can't think of what it's called!

K: What are you talking about?

B: It's so cold, I thought about putting the thingie in the bed before we came in...you know, it's flat, and if you have cramps or backaches, you put it on you.

K: A hot water bottle?

B: No, it's electric.

K: A heating pad?

B: YES! HEATING PAD!

It was the most bizarre thing...for the life of me, I just could not think of what that sucker was called.

 

 

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was under the impression those delegate numbers were a lot lower then again I am not too familiar with this process..
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Hey Sherry!

Those were the numbers reported in the paper this morning, as well as on CNN.com. I was really surprised to see those numbers, because we tend to think that Clinton and Obama are neck-and-neck, and that McCain is really coming on strong. That may be true in the popular vote, but the delegate number tells a different story. But there's still many months to go!

Thanks for reading and commenting!

Beth

Anonymous said...

I know those blues. Doc used to end up leaving for entire weekends for gigs. He always said he knew I was missing him, because the house would be spotless when he came home (what can I say I get bored, for some reason it's easier when they're gone). I never worried about groupies or him. I learned a long time ago if you don't have trust, your already on bad footing. I've been divorced twice. Doc was married once before he was a widow when I met him.

On the subject of Rudy....I think it's more that the man failed miserably in his job until 9/11. Yes, it's wonderful to come through in a time of need. Was it more showmanship? I think if he was for real he would of been stepping up to the plate all along. Yes, you figured it out...I'm a NY'er. I'm more upstate NY though, about 4 hours from the city. It's now a mere 11 degrees with a -3 adding the windchill factor.

I have those conversations all the time.....(raises eyebrow) sadly Doc doesn't usually have a clue what I'm talking about. We end up doing hand signals, like referree's. Finally we just give up giggling because by then we are so far off topic we don't even know what started it. I believe as I've seen with you and Ken that is the saving grace of our relationship , humor. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Indigo, I do the exact same thing! My "chore of choice" when Ken is gone is cleaning the stovetop. I take off all the fixtures on the stove and scrub 'em down with an SOS pad. I'm not doing that at the moment, but I might do some stovebusting in the next couple of days. :)

You're so right about trust. Ken is the first guy I've ever totally trusted, and I can't tell you how that makes me feel, or what a relief it is. (I probably don't need to. Sounds like you know exactly what I'm talking about.) I worry enough about safe travel...worrying about behavior is not something I need, and I'm very happy that I don't have to do so!

I actually did not know until now that you are from New York! (Brr, stay warm!) I'm really happy to get other perspectives on Rudy. I really did like his book, but when I talked to RaQuel, I got a whole 'nother point of view...I'm very happy to get yours, too, and it sounds like you feel the same way. It seems like he did a lot to reduce crime in the city, but again...can that translate to the global stage?

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has forgetful moments! And yeah, I'm still laughing about the whole heating pad thing!

{{Beth}}

Anonymous said...

I'm not a fan of Romney for the same reasons your friend doesn't like Rudy.  I feel like he is very arrogant!  I still don't have a favorite though.
Have yummy parm tonight.  I think we are having pizza at my in-laws with our football.
traci

Anonymous said...

I know, Traci. I'm struggling with the choices we have! I want to vote, but it's dismaying to look at everything and try to decide. <sigh>

Have a great night! I'll start the Eggplant Parm soon...not quite ready yet, though!

{{Beth}}

Anonymous said...

Giuliani reminds me of the kid in third grade who always had his lunch money taken from him or was beaten up. Sort of a sniveler. Although I admire his work during 9-11, his whole political platform seems to be a noun, a verb and 9-11.

With any luck, the country will realize that Obama's a wet behind the ears, first term senator, elected in Illinois after a scandal, and is running on arrogance. I would consider him after the proper seasoning that it takes to run a country.

Thanks for showing the electoral count, the real tally !

Jimmy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reading, Jimmy...but I have to say that I really do kind of like Obama. I know you don't, and I'm not trying to convince anyone! Like I've said, we all need to make our own decisions. It's still so early, and there is just so much to decide and learn in the coming months. For example, my initial impression of Huckabee was very positive. I still think he's a decent guy, but I have many concerns about him. Same with Giuliani.

Hey, our primary here in Indiana means very little--things will be decided, for the most part, by May 5th. Your primary in Florida is coming up real quick, and could have a big impact on things. What kind of vibes are you getting from your coworkers and friends? I'd love to hear about it.

Beth