Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Mmm, smells good

The baked ziti (penne) is out of the oven and standing for a few minutes. I got to use one of my Christmas presents, an electric garlic baker, and it smells really good in here. I was telling Ken that after making the Braciole yesterday, when I opened up my locker this afternoon to go to lunch, a little cloud of onion and garlic wafted out, because it had seeped into my parka. It smelled so good that I didn't mind!

Tonight's wine selection is a 2002 Syrah from V. Sattui winery in St. Helena, California. Yum.

Later

The baked ziti (penne) was really good (and the electric garlic baker worked great), but I have got to learn how to scale things down. We ate maybe one-fourth of the thing. I am officially done with cooking for the week, because we'll be eating leftovers through the weekend.

Kind of a sad thing...but it's really kind of good...but it still makes me feel bad...and apparently, ambivalent. Our fierce kitty Sheeba is a good mouser. He cornered one in the basement tonight. When I saw it earlier, I thought it was not long for this world, but a couple of hours later, it was still hanging on...but it was not well. I asked for Ken's help at this point, because it wasn't right to let Sheeba keep playing with his little "friend." I'm not upset with Sheeba, of course--he's a cat, and that's what cats do, and it's good that he catches mice in our basement--but I hate to see a critter suffer. Armed with a paper towel and plastic bag, Ken nabbed the mouse, and set him free outside to make his own way. I don't hold high hopes for him, but this is the way of the world, and living in the country has made me learn some hard lessons. Mother Nature is not always pretty, but that's reality. Godspeed, Mousie, wherever you end up.


Tags:

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ziti and garlic was excellent.  

Mousey :o(

Bucko.

Anonymous said...

I love when eating well sets the precidence for the day!  Garlic baker sounds wonderful!  We are garlic fans here too.
Ah, kitties are what they are.  Can't change them...
Traci

Anonymous said...

I came from a large family and for the life of me I can't cook for 2. You learn to plan ahead and end up freezing meals for the next week. As for cats being mouser's......Yeah, I know it's normal, but I admit I used to chase my outdoor cat around and make her let them go. For some reason she always brought them to me alive. She soon caught on to that scam and bit the head off before leaving it for me (like we wanted to know that one right?). I often wondered where she was putting the heads , until that spring when I went to do my garden. Yep, you guessed it. Payback to a cat is lasting. I've been reading your entries here and there. Sad to say this is the first I'm commenting. I'll try to tune in more often. (Hugs) Indigo

Anonymous said...

Hi Indigo, and thanks for the comment! Argh, you dug up mouse heads in your garden?! I have to admit that made me laugh. Traci is right...you can't change their nature.

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who makes too much food. Luckily, Ken doesn't mind leftovers!

Thanks for reading!

Beth