Monday, August 11, 2008

Back home

Whew, what a long day!
 
We got up at 6 AM, so we could say good-bye to Ros before she left for school, and Aunt Bea got up around that time, too. Our flight was out of L.A. at 12:10, and considering the traffic you can run into around there, we left around 7:15. (We had to return the rental car, too.) Amazingly enough, the traffic moved along quite nicely, and we never came to a complete standstill, the way we have in the past. We ended up with some time to kill in the airport, so we had breakfast at a Route 66 themed place. Way cool! As for the traffic, I have to say that we never really had any problem on this trip. It was all fairly smooth sailing, and with the top down, we both managed to get quite a nice suntan! Even Ros noticed, after we came back after a week, that we both looked brown, like we'd "been on vacation." Ha ha!
 
We were both so wiped out (a restless night for both of us...you know how it is when you know you need to get up early) that we both fell asleep even before we took off from L.A.! I suppose the Bloody Marys at the restaurant might have had something to do with that, too. <grin> Whatever the reason, it felt really good to sleep so soundly. I only slept for an hour, but Ken slept almost the entire three-hour flight.
 
We had a fairly long layover in Minneapolis, so we hung out and watched Olympic boxing. A couple of guys sat by us, and they were both really into the Olympics, too, so we talked about the American win in the 400m relay in swimming and how exciting it was. Turns out one of the guys is a Sociology professor at Notre Dame, and on our flight! Small world!
 
I have to say one thing about the Minneapolis airport. It's been years since I flew through there--I think the last time was probably when I lived in North Dakota--but I was reminded all over again of how poorly it is laid out. Both coming and going, we had to walk from one end of the airport to another, and believe me, it is not a "concentrated" area. Neither of us mind walking, because we enjoy the exercise, but I feel bad for anyone who isn't able to walk long distances, because it's just a really stupid layout. (No offense intended to anyone to absolutely loves the airport. It's really a fine place with lots of shops and neat places to eat...but it's just a crummy layout!) One thing I was really impressed with, though, was the vending machines that had pictures of fish on them. What other airport in the country has fish vending machines?! Those Land o' Lakers are hardcore, I tell ya! Eh?
 
We were pretty late getting home tonight, partly because of a three-hour time difference, but my folks are in a different time zone (an hour earlier), so I called to let them know we'd made it home okay. After we unpacked (I highly recommend doing it when you get home...it's such a relief to have it done and not have to worry about it the next day!), we went through the mail, and when I fired up the computer and signed on, Cousin Shane was online and sent me an IM before I could send him an email that we were home safe. He took great care of Sheeba, who was very happy to see us! He was all over us for a while, but is now getting a little fired up and running around a bit. (Sheeba, I mean, not Cousin Shane!)
 
Tomorrow we'll do the typical post-vacation things: I'll do laundry and grocery-shopping, while Ken mows the lawn (which really isn't too bad, since we didn't get a lot of rain while we were gone). We had a wonderful time, but it's always good to get back home and appreciate what we have here. It was wonderful to see everyone, and thanks to those who put us up, and/or put up with us! (I'm old school, so genuine thank-you notes will be going out shortly!) Thanks also to all my J-Land friends who not only put up with my lack of reading journals, but continued to read about our adventures! I will be getting caught up this week, so bear with me a little longer. I hope you enjoyed reading about our travels as much as I enjoyed writing about them. There is just so much out there to do and to see, whether it's across the country or in your hometown, and even what you think might be incredibly mundane can turn out to be a great adventure and a new discovery. My wish for you all is that you never lose that sense of adventure, the thought that your next great experience might be just down the road. One never knows...does one?                   
 
 

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad that you both had an enjoyable trip and are safely back home. Helen

Anonymous said...

Welcome home!  Estela

Anonymous said...

Home Sweet Home.  As usual, we are up way to late when we return, that is why I took tomorrow (today) off.  We did make it home in time to see the USA Men's gymnastics team take the bronze - even without their two top athletes.  It was fun to watch :o)

Anonymous said...

Welcome home !!!
I never unpack right away, but your right it's probably best I did!!
Hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Glad you guys are home safely!  There really is no place like home!!  I unpack the minute we get home too, and immediately start laundry.  Sounds like you had a marvelous time...welcome home!
xoxo ~myra

Anonymous said...

I know i missed some of your vac entries due to AOL sucking and i had no alerts for five full days. I was in that airport when i was 15 and going to AZ but remember little about it.
So glad you are home and the kitty is happy too.
XO

Anonymous said...

You will have some beautiful memories of
this vacation.  I know you will treasure the
time spent with family members.  I hope
you took lots of pictures.  So glad all went
well, and that you are home safely.   Pat

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you had a safe trip home!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Thanks for taking me along for the ride. I had a wonderful time.
Laini

Anonymous said...

I know you had a good time, but I also know you are
thrilled to be back home!
Connie

Anonymous said...

Glad you are back home safely.  Thank you for sharing your vacation with us.  Sorry about the crowds you ran into.  Panama City Beach, FL is apparently a much different story.  A co-worker vacationed there last week, and 100 yards in either direction on the beach, no one.  Restaurants where they used to wait 45 minutes to an hour to be seated, no waiting.  Many of the tourist shops are going out of business or already are.  One of the business owners told him that business was 50% less than what it was last year.  Gas prices to blame no doubt.  People are having to cut out vacations altogether.

I agree with unpacking upon returning - I hate having to do it the next day.  

Thanks again for sharing as you two experienced it!

Dirk

Anonymous said...

So you're home are you?  Well, we in JLand welcome you back with open E-arms.  Still hoping to hear some (kindly) gossip about those passive/aggressive waitresses.

Thank you for the journey.              DB

Anonymous said...

Welcome home (sorry that's belated lol)  I enjoyed reading about your travels.  It was fun xx

Jenny