Saturday, August 9, 2008

On a Mission Beach from God

 
We met Ken's brother and nephew down at Mission Beach today, at a place called World Famous. (Although I kept wanting to call it Almost Famous.) I'm not sure what they're world famous for...I suspect it might be their passive-aggressive waitresses, but that's just speculation on my part.
 
Considering that it was a beautiful, sunny Saturday afternoon, Mike's choice of a restaurant on Mission Beach was perhaps not such a great one. We drove around for 15 minutes looking for a parking place, and although the picture at left looks fairly deserted, the place was actually a madhouse! There were people everywhere, but it was pretty fun to do some people watching. (Our table and the adjoining table gave a collective groan when we saw a woman walk by wearing a thong bikini...a woman that should NOT have been wearing one!)
 
It was a real pleasure to see Adam, Ken's nephew. He's 22 now, and he's just adorable! He's a really great kid, and while he has removed most of his piercings (including his chin stud) because he said he decided it was time to grow up a little bit, he's still into the tattoos, and has apparently done his entire front now. It's awfully easy to make a judgment based on surface things...but then you start talking to him, and you realize that he's intelligent, sweet, and has a great sense of humor. He handled what could have been and was starting to be an unpleasant situation with honesty and grace, and I have to say that I think he's a really nice young man. His sister lives in Chicago, and we told him that if he ever comes out to visit with her, we'd love to have him stop by for a visit at our place. I'm sure he'd be bored to tears, but maybe he could stand it for a couple of days!
 
Adam brought his friend Christine, and apparently she IS a friend only, and they've known each other since they were 14. She was a total sweetheart, and I really enjoyed talking with her. She is teaching preschool, and working on going back to school to get her degree. What a couple of really nice young people!
 
We've gotten things pretty well squared away with our suitcases, and we'll be watching some Olympics tonight. We'll head down around 9 PM to the hotel restaurant and grab an appetizer, and that will be it for the night. If we sound like a couple of old fogeys, I don't think it's that...personally, I just feel kind of wiped, and I'm ready to take it easy, and then get back home. Besides, I think we're past our crazy days of going out to the bars and going dancing. Unless we're in New Orleans, of course!
 
We'll spend tomorrow at Ros's, maybe take a dip in the pool, and get ourselves mentally prepared for getting back to real life. <sigh> As much fun as this has been, I still maintain that there's no place like home, and I'm looking forward to getting back to Nutwood.
 
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my...what a beautiful sight.  What I would give to be able to see the ocean again.  It's been almost 10 yrs since I've seen the ocean, and I only live about 6 hours from the gulf of mexico.  
~Connie

Anonymous said...

"I'm not sure what they're world famous for...I suspect it might be their passive-aggressive waitresses, "

Great line. :)

Dan

Anonymous said...

Glad you had another good visit with family.  Take care and be safe on your way home!
Lori

Anonymous said...

I LOL'd at your "passive-aggresive waitresses" comment. Priceless!  We have a BBQ place here called Larry's, but I always call it "Porky's"... Estela

Anonymous said...

what happened with the waitress? Why was she aggressive.
I hope you have a safe trip back, I guess I need to clean the place up, I'm known to crash houses when J-land friends are away !!!
hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE not an old fogey.  I'M an old fogey.  I know the difference.  By all means let's hear about the passive/aggressive waitresses.  As for the bag in the thong, some people never grow up.
                                                                D

Anonymous said...

i have never judged someone on having tattoo's. It is their personal way of expressing. Many are very artistic. A person with tattoo's isnt intelligent?

Again, glad you are enjoying your vacation!
XO

Anonymous said...

Awww Ken's nephew sounds lovely :o)  I never judge anyone by tattos they may have unless they had 'kill jenny' on their arm for me to see ;)  LOL

Jenny

Anonymous said...

glad you had such a great time!
hugs,natalie