Sunday, August 17, 2008

A conversation with our cat

 
This afternoon, Sheeba was curled up on my lap while I played on the computer. Ken came in from mowing the lawn, and this conversation took place:
 
Me: Sheeba, your ears are hot!
 
Sheeba: I'm a hot cat.
 
Me: Yes, you are.
 
Sheeba: And you're a tin roof.
 
Me: [laughing] Good one, Sheeba!
 
Ken: Sheeba, you're so smart!
 
Have I mentioned that Sheeba's voice sounds eerily similar to Ken's? And when Ken is away, it sounds like mine.
 
I know. We're weird.
 
Speaking of Ken being away, he's off to Denver this afternoon. Waaah, Ricky! It's only for a couple of days, though, and he'll be back late Tuesday night. You can read about his trip if you'd like--it involves planning for a pandemic. Odd, considering my recent entry on pandemic plague! (I'd actually forgotten that what this trip was about.) While he's gone, I'll keep the home fires burning, I'll leave a light on, AND I'll hold down the fort!
 
I will also be cooking my Ken-is-on-a-business-trip special, Eggplant Parmigiana. I got a beauty yesterday, along with some fresh mozzarella. Yummmmm.
 
Last night we watched women's Olympic weight-lifting. We were cheering for the Samoan woman, but she dropped out. Republic of Korea won it, and she lifted...get this...a little over 400 pounds, setting a new world record. Good God! That's way more than Ken and I combined!! And Sheeba, too! It was surprisingly fun to watch, but we couldn't help but let our inner 5th-graders loose as the commentators spoke of the snatch and the clean-and-jerk. I'm sorry, but hearing, "And she's got the snatch...and she's holding it!" makes me giggle! I know, I know. Very juvenile. I got to the point where I said, "MAN, I wish they'd stop saying that!"
 
I've gotten plenty of suggestions for Club Crouton, and I'll be compiling them all into an entry soon. I've gotten some serious giggles out of it--there are some really clever ones! Let your Muse take wing, and leave a comment, replacing a word in a song with the word "crouton."
 
More later, I'm sure!
 
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have 'dad's away so we can eat ______' specials, too!  Fish tacos is one of them.  Cheesy Tuna Helper is another...LOL

~Amy

Anonymous said...

Sheeba is so cute.  I have a love affair with black cats for some reason.  Awww... can't wait to hear your compilation for Club Crouton.  LOL  Take care, hon xox
http://journals.aol.com/valphish/ThereisaSeason

Anonymous said...

Grow up and get a life, won't you [not]? :o)

Anonymous said...

Enjoy your day!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Ever get "that look" from your cat...like you've gone mad!!  Sheeba wonders why she keeps you guys around!  I heard a saying once...a dog is part of the family, while to a cat, you're the hired help!"  I do believe that is what cats think...
xoxo ~myra

Anonymous said...

Hey, I have a 'Ken-is-on-a-business-trip' special.... only I call mine 'Chris-is-with-his-dad-for-the-weekend-and-I-think-this'll-go-great-with-a-glass-of-wine' special'.

Joann

Anonymous said...

if anyone said she has the snatch and is holding it Rick would be yelling "take video, damn it, take video"!! lol

Anonymous said...

Come Labor Day Weekend I will have 3 days and nights of paint chips, carpet fibers, stain smears and whatever the hell I take the time to eat (winks). I'm painting Paul's music room as a surprise for him while he's gone. It's been Harlequin neon green diamonds, with lime mixed in for a few years now...Why? My daughter's novelty. She painted it that way when he gave up his music room for her to have her own room, when I moved in. It's been long overdue for him to have his room back (he uses it now, just with the weird colors). He's doing a Blues Festival in the Thousand Islands NY. I used to go with him but it's hard with Pickles and unfair to her to expose her to the loud music for 4 days running. Strange but I used to think Paul and I were the only ones who did the weird animal voices (gasp)...(Hugs)Indigo

Anonymous said...

Our dogs talk in our voices too...isn't that wierd?  LOL
Don't you just love animals...
Love,
Connie