Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Crouton Salad

Arrr, matey, I've passed the point of no return. I'm still on Pacific time, still wide awake at 3:30 AM, the Olympics are on NBC (reruns, in case I missed anything), AND I've got cramps.
 
I'm sorry, too much information.
 
Ken has to get up in an hour, so if I go to bed now I would only disturb him, so looks like I'll be getting to bed later this morning. I can't remember the last time I had such difficulty readjusting to a time zone difference. It's such a crummy feeling--wide-awake sleepy! I shall use my insomnia for good, not evil, and write a thing or two.
 
When we got up Monday morning before Ros left for school (she teaches third grade, by the way), she was making her lunch. She said that she usually takes her lunch, because it takes too much time to go out, and she's usually too busy, anyway. We all agreed that it saves a ton of money, too. She said that if she doesn't have time to make a lunch, she will eat in the school cafeteria...she shook her head and said, "And..it's really pretty bad." We all laughed. She went on to say that they DO have a salad bar there, so that's good.
 
And what do the kids do? They get a bowl of croutons and put Ranch dressing on them.
 
I couldn't help it...I cracked up. That is disgusting! Ros said that when she sees that, she'll call the kids on it: "Where's your lettuce?! That's not a salad!" So yeah, that's what some of these kids are choosing for lunch. Fried bread cubes with creamy dressing on them. I know that kids have a much higher metabolism, and that something like that won't necessarily pack on the pounds, but that doesn't mean it's healthy. I guess my laughter was more like horrified laughter. It's funny but it's not! Where are kids getting these habits?? Yuck!
 
Next topic!
 
I read tonight last night that Senator Clinton's top campaign guy, Mark Penn, was urging her during the primaries to go negative on Senator Obama, and to talk about how he doesn't have "true American values," I guess because of his ethnic background, and because he's lived in exotic and mysterious places like...you know, Hawaii.
 
Senator Clinton refused to take Penn's advice.
 
Those of you who have been reading me for a while know that I wasn't a big fan of Senator Clinton during the primaries...but you know what? I give her props for taking the high road in this case. She refused to question Senator Obama's values or patriotism or his dedication to his country, and I give her much credit for that. I was actually quite impressed to hear about this.
 
I was going to write about our book club book, but I'm beginning to be unable to brain.
 
Time to write an email! Ha!
 
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope your asleep by now, since it's 6 am here in NY.
We can obtain a printout of what our children order at lunch while in school.

Now that you've told the Crouton story, I just might optain that there list!!!!
Hugs,
Ellen

Anonymous said...

Wide awake sleepy?  Hmm, I'll have to try that one!  That is so frustrating...of course, the sleepier you are, the more wide awake you are.  I did hear that about Hillary...kinda doesn't go with what we know about her!  I know, not nice...
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

Have a good day today!
Missie

Anonymous said...

I never liked Hill, so I have to mention that to be fair, but, while I think it is good that she wouldn't question his true American values(& I think if she had it would have made her look badly), I seem to remember her saying she didn't know if he was Muslim or not.  Uhm, I think she knew & I find that odd.

When I was in high school we didn't have a salad bar but I do remember some kids always getting tater tots & a chocolate shake. And while some kids have a great met rate, I can tell you for sure that some of those kids were very overweight as teens. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

I really had a hard time adjusting to things after my vacation.. try to stay awake today to get your clock reset ..
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Many a day in high school I'd grab a bowl of croutons, no salad. No ranch either tho- wish I'd thought of that back then :)

Dan

Anonymous said...

Ok, in defense for the kids, (cough), maybe they are like me and are unable to process lettuce. If i eat ANY lettuce, basically due to my disease my bowels will explode and a bit of croutons with ranch dressing would be something i'd eat.

and my kids can tell you that the cafeteria food is AWFUL everywhere.

XO

Anonymous said...

The school cafeteria food is bad and so the kids are eating croutons with salad dressing.  Sounds like a smart and tasty alternative to me.              DB

Anonymous said...

Sounds like they need Jamie Oliver over there lol

Jenny