Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Rain Dance

Ha ha. Hey, that is some funny, funny stuff. Praying for 75,000 people to be in the midst of a heavy rainstorm...ha ha! That's a good one!
 
As Lisa Loopner would say, "It's so funny I forgot to laugh."
 
Y'know, I really don't care if people like Senator Obama or not. That's a personal decision, and only you can--or should--make it. However, I find this ad (and to give the organization miniscule credit, they pulled it after enough of their members found it quite unfunny) typical of those who give no substantive argument for WHY they don't like someone--it doesn't matter who, or what party. They make really weighty remarks like, "I just don't like him, that's all." It reminds me of the Monty Python sketch, "The Argument Clinic."
 
Michael Palin:  An argument is a connected series of statements intended to establish a proposition.
John Cleese:   No it isn't.
MP:  Yes it is! It's not just contradiction.
JC:   Look, if I argue with you, I must take up a contrary position.
MP:  Yes, but that's not just saying 'No it isn't.'
JC:   Yes it is!
MP:   No it isn't!
JC:   Yes it is!
MP:  Argument is an intellectual process. Contradiction is just the automatic gainsaying of any statement the other person makes.
(short pause)
JC:  No it isn't.
MP:  It is!

To paraphrase Monty Python, voting is an intellectual process. If someone "automatically gainsays" me, that's not much of an argument, is it? (Yes it is.) No it isn't!

I also notice that the guy in the ad steals David Letterman's classic line from his Indianapolis weatherman days, "Hail the size of canned hams." So not only is the ad not funny, it's not all that original, either. I also have to wonder what God's reaction to such a prayer would be....

 

God: What is it, my child? For what do you pray today?

Guy: I pray for rain, my Lord.

God: I see. That is very noble and kind. Those who till the land need rain in order to grow their crops and feed their fellow man.

Guy: No, it's not for them.

God: Oh. Ah yes, I understand. You pray for rain in order to replenish the lakes and ponds so that the creatures of the forest might slake their thirst. That is very wise and thoughtful.

Guy: Uh...no, it's not for them.

God: No? Hmm. I know! You pray for rain to cleanse the air of pollutants, so that those who suffer from respiratory difficulties might experience relief. You are a loving man, my son.

Guy: Uhh...no. Not for them, either.

God: Let's see. You don't wish for rain for the crops; you don't wish for rain so that no creature will go thirsty; and you don't wish for rain to alleviate the suffering of your fellow man. I must admit, I'm stumped. For what reason do you pray for rain, my son?

Guy: Well, there's this guy, see? I don't like him. He's going to be speaking in front of a whole bunch of people in a couple of weeks, and I think it would be really cool if they'd get rained on! Don't throw down any lightning or hail or anything like that--I don't want anybody to get hurt!--but a good gully-washer would be great! They'll be all wet and miserable, and I'd get a real kick out of that!

God: You gotta be kidding me.

 

Somehow I suspect that God wouldn't take too kindly to such a prayer. I also doubt that He has an affiliation with any particular political party. Call me foolish, but I tend to save my prayers for little things like the health and safety of those I love and care about, or their family members. Sometimes I feel especially wild and crazy and pray for things like world peace and an end to suffering and poverty. But that's just me.

I guess there are people that know better than I do, and find it worthwhile to ask God to send down a heavy rain upon 75,000 people who are actively engaged in our political process and support the candidate of their choice. Hey, more power to you, but perhaps you might want to rethink your priorities and decide what really matters to you, to your community, to your country, and to your world. And instead of praying to God to fix things, you might consider exercising the free will you have been given and take some action yourself. Quite a concept, eh?

 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Before I read your entry, I had similar thoughts about the video.  First, I found some humor in it, but seriously, if that is the type of things that we as a country are praying for, things that are part of the free choice that we are already blessed with, then they have missed the whole point!  :o)

Anonymous said...

I know of a family that prayed to God so the paint they had to purchase would match the paint already on the wall.  I found that a frivolous prayer.... but then again.. I wasn't the one worried about the matching paint.  Thanks for sharing, I haven't seen this particular commercial.  Estela

Anonymous said...

lmao I love your way of praying it helped me lol
hugs
Sherry

Anonymous said...

Amen, sister!  Said as only you could say it!  Crazy, huh?  I wonder what God really thinks of us.  I think sometimes we make him sad...
xoxo ~Myra

Anonymous said...

I just saw that clip on the O'Reilly factor.  I must agree, it's a little out of the ball park! LOL
Missie

Anonymous said...

I'll pray for rain, I think God has a sense of humor....  he's proved it in the life he chose for me.... LOL!!!

Joann

Anonymous said...

i actually don't find anything even remotely funny about that ad.  i find it to be ridiculous and very childish.  "i dont like someone, so i'm going to wish something bad upon them."  it's behavior like that that gives christians a bad name.

i totally respect this man's right to his opinion.  i'm not upset at him because he doesn't care for obama.  that is certainly his choice to make.  i just find his prayer to be completely frivolous.

so, in answer to this man's question, yes, i find your negative, punitive and childish prayer to be bad.

Anonymous said...

I love your thoughts on this video. I had not seen it prior to viewing it here but like yo, I didn't find it particularly funny or original, just stupid. The guy in the video seems awfully concerned about same sex marriage and a woman's right to choose what to do with her own body. I am particularly fascinated by his assertion that he believes that marriage should be between one man and one woman. Do you suppose that someone is trying to force him to go against his beliefs and marry a man? That would be just wrong, after all, what right does anyone have to tell people whom they may marry?--Sheria

Anonymous said...

that video won't play for me, saying it is not available

Anonymous said...

A simple fact of life is that if these silly people have to go to such lengths as to pray that a man's speech be rained out, then the speech must be an important one.
                                                 DB

Anonymous said...

LOL i love that monty python sketch :o)

Jenny