Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Self-sabotage

 
 
Mission: Shopping trip to Kohl's
 
Danger level: Moderate
 
Recommended personnel: Beth "Extra Arm" R.
 
Status: Accomplished
 
 
That's right, folks, been there and back, and had great success. I even ran into my pals Aubrey and Erin from the lab! (I said, "Guess I should've put makeup on this morning!" They didn't seem too repulsed by me, so I think it was okay.) We got to chat a bit, and it sounds like things are going pretty well, although I suspect Aubrey is ready to be done with working nights! She's found her dream house, but there's a lien on it so she can't buy it...her realtor is checking into some options. Good luck, Aubs--we'd almost be neighbors! (Well, just a few miles away, anyway.)
 
So I got four skorts: an off-white one, a pale green one (That one was on clearance for less than $6! Woohoo!), a striped green one, and YES! I found a khaki one! Or army green, whichever you prefer. And yeah...I bought a pair of sandals. I like 'em--they're very comfy and fairly casual, but they have a bit of a heel on them, so they would look good with a casual dress, too. Or a skort, for that matter!
 
An aside: Why is it that almost all the sandals now are thongs? I think they're really cute, but I just can't wear them. After a while, all I can think about is how much that little strap in between my toes is bugging me, and something like that can just ruin your day, you know?
 
Anyhoo, everything was on sale, if not clearance. I've mentioned what great sales Kohl's has, and I always like to add up what I would have paid if I paid full price. It turns out that I saved more than I actually spent. I MADE money today, simply by shopping! <hee hee> Sadly, there are probably some people that think that way. Yeah, I saved money on clothes that were over-priced to begin with...but I still spent some! Not a lot, but some. Sheeba seems to like my sandals. He's curled up by the box, gazing at them. Although I can't actually see his eyes, so it's possible that he's napping.
 
On the way there and back, I was ROCKIN' OUT, MAN! I haven't been listening to music much here at home, so when I'm in the car, I crank it. I was playing a compilation CD I made a while back of some of my favorite rockin' songs (all from CD's I had previously purchased, no piracy here), from bands like Everclear, The Cult, CIV, Jimmie's Chicken Shack, etc. One of the bands is Lit, and I just love the song "My Own Worst Enemy." You can watch the video if you follow that link (embedding is disabled, sorry), and it's a fun one that takes place at a bowling alley. Turn it up! I love the 70's hipster clothing, and be sure to check out their bowling shoes and their balls. Bowling balls, that is. More commentary after the lyrics.
 
"My Own Worst Enemy"  Lit
 

Can we forget about the things I said when I was drunk
I didn't mean to call you that
I can't remember what was said or what you threw at me
Please tell me
Please tell me why
My car is in the front yard
And I'm sleeping with my clothes on
I came in through the window last night
And you're gone


It's no surprise to me I am my own worst enemy
'Cause every now and then I kick the living shit out of me
The smoke alarm is going off and there's a cigarette
Still burning
Please tell me why
My car is in the front yard
And I'm sleeping with my clothes on
I came in through the window last night
And you're gone


Please tell me why
My car is in the front yard
And I'm sleeping with my clothes on
I came in through the window last night
It's no surprise to me I am my own worst enemy
'Cause every now and then I kick the living shit out of me
Can we forget about the the things I said when I was drunk
I didn't mean to call you that

I think it's such clever phrasing, and a funny song.

But there are deeper implications there. (You knew I'd find some, didn't you?) I remember a network using that song when doing a story about Bobby Knight's career at Indiana University. As brilliant a coach as he was and is, how many times did he let his anger and emotions get the better of him? (Quite a few, if you aren't familiar with the guy.) We've all known people like that, whether we see them on TV and in the tabloids, or sometimes in our personal lives. Sometimes it's a matter of making poor choices, and other times it's a matter of anger issues, and being unable to control your behavior. Obviously, there is always the Random that can come out of nowhere and "kick the living shit" out of us, but it's really sad--and sometimes frustrating--to see those who time and time again kick the living shit out of themselves. Jeez, give yourself a break already! You might find that there's a lot to be said for a tranquil life with little to no drama, or as the Hazies put it, "A Trip-Free Life." (Another song on my compilation CD.) Stop trippin'!

Okay, it was a rough morning pounding the department store pavement--off to the showers!

More later!

 
 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Im heading out to shop for clothes today too, but not at Kohl's.  Hope I am as successful as you! :)  Estela

Anonymous said...

I love Kohls at this time of year with all their sales!
Missie

Anonymous said...

Oh, the satisfaction of a job well done.  Or a shopping trip that practically
paid you to go!  Sounds like you had luck finding the things you needed,
at good prices.  I love clothes, but I love bargains better.  End of season
sales are the best ones.  I only spent 50 the other day and got 4 sweater
tops and a necklace.  And they were Alfred Dunner,  my favorite, which
I never buy unless it is on sale.  Nice to see your friends, too.  I agree
with you on the thongs.  Not sure baby doll is my best style, either.
Mission completed, Extra-Arm!       Smiles,   Pat

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that your shopping trip was a huge success!!!!  Kidd Rock has come out with a song I like.  It's called, "All Summer Long."  Have you heard it?  Of course you may not like Kidd Rock.  I usually listen to country, but my hubby & son have gotten me hooked on that one.

Hollie

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the good buys.  I only buy sale or clearance at Kohls,  they always have some of each it seems.  With good sales like that it is worth waiting.  I've enough in my closet that I really don't need anymore anyway.  With fall around the corner I'm done with summer clothes shopping, but I know they'll have some sales on the fall stuff soon.  'On Ya' - ma

Anonymous said...

Very fun video!
They have built a Kohls not two miles from my house!!  It isn't finished yet, and I can't wait.  Sounds like you got some great deals.
You have been a very prolific writer lately.  I don't think I'm going to get caught up with your entries today, but I'll be back tomorrow.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Regarding the song "My own worst enenemy" I love it. It was played all the time when my wife and I first started dating. It is a fun video I don't think I can ever forget the threads or the mustache. We used to have fun with that song. I am glad you mentioned it for I forgot it was done by Lit. I too crank the tunes up when ever I get in the car. It is freeing to do so. I'm glad you survived you day of shopping and enjoyed it too. I am one of those in and out shoppers. The type who would do good on that game show from way back when. The one you run through the store with a cart and throw Items in. Anyhoo I have a tendency to ramble on so I will say goodbye for now.  



Wes

Anonymous said...

Army Green, no Khaki, if I say so myself :o)

Anonymous said...

I like that line "kicking the shit out of ourselves". That can be so true. We have a Kohl's and i have never stepped foot in it. I wonder if they sell obese clothing. I love to make a CD and then come upon it a few yrs later and listen to it and i remember exactly what my frame of mind was when i made it.
XO