Tuesday, August 5, 2008

A day in California

 
We got to Kim and Steve's yesterday in early afternoon. (I'll write more later about our drive up from Yucaipa and put up some pictures--it was a beautiful drive, and we really enjoyed ourselves. We both got a little sunburn, but it was worth it!) After we got caught up on things, we all ran some errands, then had what Kimberley calls a "hunky" meal, and what Ken and I call a "snack food" meal--salami, cheese, fruit, etc. Yum!
 
In the evening, we played with Kim and Steve's new toy--they got a Wii! First we did a little Mario Kart, which I totally suck at. I couldn't keep my stupid car on the road! This is Ken's driver: King Boo on his chopper. I don't know why this cracked me up so much, but I just love King Boo! Then we tried tennis, which is a lot of fun, and while I wasn't very good at that, either, I was better--it was just fun! We did bowling, and that's my favorite so far, because I beat Ken and Steve. Ha ha! It's quite funny, because in real life, I am a HORRIBLE bowler. My scores don't usually even break 50, but for some reason, I did pretty good at the Wii version. Ken and Steve are playing golf at the moment while Kim and I are in the office. My opinion of Wii? I want one!
 
Today we all got up around the same time. Ken and Steve had a round of golf scheduled for 9:30, and after they left, Kim and I just sat and chatted for a while about work, birds, people, what have you. We finally got up and around and headed out.
 
Our first stop was Laetitia Winery, where we enjoyed a wine tasting. Those are some of their vines to the right. The central coast is really working hard to become a tourist destination for wineries like the Napa Valley. Kim tells me it is sometimes referred to as "Little Napa." Laetitia's wines were actually pretty tasty, and their summer sale wine, a Sauvignon Blanc, was so tasty and so reasonably priced--$5 a bottle if you bought a case!--that I couldn't refuse, because they ship to Indiana. (There are some funky laws about shipping wine from one state to another, and they can't ship to every state.) They also had a port wine that was so yummy that Kim and I each bought a bottle. Should make a nice dessert wine either tonight or tomorrow.
 
We tooled around to a few other places, including Pismo Beach (where we split a pulled pork sandwich at Mo's Barbecue--delicious!) and Avila Beach, and downtown San Luis Obispo.
 
The boys didn't have a very good day at the golf course, but managed to avoid breaking any clubs. I was sorry to hear that it didn't go well, but they still had fun. Kim and I had a lovely afternoon, and we're off soon to eat at Jocko's, which Kim described as a "carnivore's paradise." Works for me!
 
More soon!
 
 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to reading more of your trip.
Laini

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your having a great time.
My kids have the Wii and It's a great workout ! You might be a little sore tomorrow !
Take Care
Ellen

Anonymous said...

More Wii tonight.  It may be a new toy, but we will need to discuss.  Don't want any "sore" loosers :o)

Anonymous said...

Since I pay $8 a glass for wine where I go, I would say you got a great deal.  I was once looking thru a catalog that sold sex toys & wine. I, for some reason, found that combo hysterical. Then I read: SEX TOYS CAN BE SHIPPED TO ALL STATES BUT WINE IS RESTRICTED TO CERTAIN AREAS.
Haaaaaa. Ok. ~Mary

Anonymous said...

... I am glad you are telling us about your trip ... I hope to get out and about and be able to share like you are ... great review about the Wii ... everyone who tries it, loves it ...

... have a great time ..!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun, fun and more fun!  I like t he Wii,
although I am not good at it.  Fav of the boys,
as it involves participation and action.  
Vicariously enjoying your trip through your
posts.  More pics, please!   Pat

Anonymous said...

Somebody's having a good time.  That's so nice to hear.   D

Anonymous said...

Glad your having a good time xx  I'm pretty good at Wii bowling too but I would love to play Mario Kart ~ i love that game and yoshi is my fave lol

Jenny

http://journals.aol.co.uk/Jmoqueen/MyLife

Anonymous said...

My wife and I would love to have a Wii!!  It looks like a blast!  It sounds like a good time for all.  Very pretty pic of the vineyard.  Even though the golf game didn't go well, having a good time is the point, and just being out there. I'm glad you two have had such a good time!

Dirk

Anonymous said...

My kids would vote in favor of you guys getting a Wii!  The bowling is my favorite, too.
Lori

Anonymous said...

Our family was in SLO and Pismo recently as well on the way to the Cal State Games where my oldest played AAU basketball. Did you see Bubble Gum Alley in SLO? That is always a huge hit with my kids! Did you make it to Solvang? It is such a cute little town. Maybe I should read the following entries. I have been away so long I am waay behind!
L